People Who Played Siblings, But Were Dating in Real Life
It's easy to understand that sometimes when sparks fly on screen, they also fly off screen. Chemistry is a good thing! It's makes our favorite television and movie romances come alive. But what if two actors are playing brother and sister on screen? You'd think the fake family ties would make things weird in the real world. Well, apparently not. Just ask these couples who played siblings, but were dating in real life.
You have to admit there's a little bit of an "ick factor" when it comes to couples who played brother and sister in front of the camera. Although I guess it's better than if real-life siblings played on-screen lovers. Ew. Still, somehow these celebrity couples who played siblings have worked through any issues, at least when it comes to getting their work done.
Their personal lives are another matter. While playing brother and sister on screen might have worked for some couples like Lauren Graham and Peter Krause, it didn't work out so well for others. Amy Poehler and Will Arnett were married when they played figure skating brother and sister in Blades of Glory, but are no longer together. And Dexter might have brought Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter together, but they broke up while the show was still filming. Uh... awkward.
So put your ick-factor aside and take a look at this list of people who played siblings, but were dating in real life. And just keep in mind that it's only acting!
- Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter started dating after playing brother and sister on the Showtime hit Dexter. As Hollywood Life explained, they tied the knot in 2008 and then divorced in 2011 while the show was still filming.
- Matthew Broderick and Jennifer Grey played brother and sister in Paramount Pictures' Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Grey's Jeanie Bueller was all about trying to get her older brother caught for his schemes. After filming, Broderick and Grey were engaged for a while, but the happy ending was "ruined" following the couple's involvement in a fatal accident while vacationing in Ireland.
- Selena Gomez and David Henrie played brother and sister wizards on Disney Channel's Wizards of Waverly Place. Seems the show cast a "belated spell" on the two. According to IBTimes, they were first linked in 2014 after Gomez had split up from Justin Bieber.
- Lauren Graham and Peter Krause, co-stars on NBC's Parenthood, had been dating for nearly five years when Ellen Degeneres brought up the question of marriage on her show in 2014. "I don't know. We are very happy as we are and I never have a good question for this answer," Graham responded. Krause played series lead Adam Braverman and Lauren Graham portrayed his sister, Sarah.
- According to E! Online, Chris Pratt and Emily Vancamp dated while playing brother and sister on the WB's Everwood. They broke up in 2007.
- Okay, so maybe they weren't biologically related on The Brady Bunch, but Marcia Brady (Maureen McCormick) and Greg Brady (Barry Williams) dated in real life, according to CBS News. As Maureen McCormick described in her memoir, Here's the Story: Surviving Marcia Brady and Finding My True Voice, "We couldn't hold back any longer. It was our first kiss, and it was long, passionate and deep... though as we continued to kiss and press against each other so closely... a part of me - a tiny part, admittedly - said to myself, `Oh my God! I'm kissing my brother. What am I doing?'"