Nothing gets competition brewing between friends like the best fighting games of all time. Games like Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat II are guaranteed to spike peoples' salt levels after a few matches. But with so many fighting games released over the past few decades, which one is the best? See what other gamers think are the best fighting games of all time.
This list of fighting games covers all consoles and systems, and includes cover art when available. These highly rated fighting games are ordered by popularity, so only the greatest fighting games are at the top of the list. But what constitutes the best? It's hard to say - some people play fighting games for the storylines while others play them for the competitive aspect. Ultimately, it varies from person to person.
So get to voting for your favorite fighting game of all time or add it if you don't see it below, but beware, the competition is down right fierce.
- Soulcalibur II is a 2002 video game developed by Project Soul and published by Namco and the third installment in the Soul series of weapon-based fighting games. It was originally released for the ...more
- Tekken 3 is the third installment in the popular Tekken fighting game series. It was released for Arcades in March 1997, and for the PlayStation in March - September 1998. The original Arcade version ...more
- Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future is a 2D competitive fighting game produced by Capcom originally released for the arcade in 1999. It was ported to the Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, and ...more
- Mortal Kombat X is a fighting game developed by NetherRealm Studios. It is the tenth main installment in the Mortal Kombat video game series and was released on April 14, 2015 for PlayStation 4, Xbox ...more
- Mortal Kombat II is a competitive fighting game originally produced by Midway Games for the arcades in 1993. It was later ported to multiple home systems, including the PC, Amiga, Game Boy, Sega Game ...more
- Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is a fighting game in the Mortal Kombat series, originally developed and released by Midway Games to arcades in 1995. It is an update of 1995's earlier Mortal Kombat 3 with ...more
- Street Fighter II: The World Warrior is a competitive fighting game originally released for the arcades in 1991. It is the second entry in the Street Fighter series and the arcade sequel to the ...more
- Street Fighter III: Third Strike was a fighting game developed by Capcom and Iron Galaxy Studios and published by Capcom and Virgin Interactive. The game was released for the Arcade, Dreamcast, ...more
- Super Smash Bros. Melee, often abbreviated as SSBM or simply as Melee, is a crossover fighting game released for the Nintendo GameCube shortly after its launch in 2001. It is the second game in the ...more
- Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is the eighth main installment in the Tekken fighting game series, originally released in Japanese arcades on September 14, 2011. It received an update, subtitled Unlimited, ...more
- The King of Fighters '98 is a 1998 fighting game released by SNK released for the Neo Geo arcade and home console. It is the fifth game in The King of Fighters series. This installment was advertised ...more
If you love this one, be sure to vote it up in our list of which Street Fighter game is best.
- Mortal Kombat is an arcade fighting game developed and published by Midway Games in 1992 as the first title in the Mortal Kombat series. It was subsequently released by Acclaim Entertainment for ...more
- Tekken 5 is the fifth main installment in the popular Tekken series. It also marks the tenth anniversary of the series. It was first released for the arcades on 2004 running on the Namco System 256 ...more
- Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes is a 2000 fighting game developed and published by Capcom. It is the sixth game in the Marvel vs. Capcom series. With the sixth installment, Capcom simplified ...more
- SoulCalibur is a weapon-based 3D fighting game developed by Project Soul and produced by Namco. It is the second game in the Soul series, preceded by Soul Edge. Originally released in arcades in ...more
- Killer Instinct is a fighting game developed by Rare and published by Midway and Nintendo. It was released as an arcade game in the summer of 1994 and, the following year, ported to the Super ...more
- Tekken Tag Tournament is the fourth main installment in Namco's Tekken fighting game series. It, however, is not canonical to the Tekken storyline. The game was originally available as an update kit ...more
- Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium 2001, known in Japan as Capcom vs. SNK 2: Millionaire Fighting 2001, is the sequel to the fighting game Capcom vs. SNK. It was originally released on NAOMI ...more
- Tekken 2 is the second installment in the popular Tekken fighting game series. It was first released in arcades in 1995, and later released for the PlayStation in 1996. The original arcade version of ...more
- Garou: Mark of the Wolves, known as Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves on Dreamcast, is a 1999 fighting game produced by SNK, originally for the Neo Geo system and part of the Fatal Fury series. It is ...more
- Street Fighter II' Turbo: Hyper Fighting is a competitive fighting game released for the arcades by Capcom in 1992. It is the third game in the Street Fighter II sub-series of Street Fighter games ...more
- Street Fighter Alpha 3, known as Street Fighter Zero 3 in Japan and Asia, is a 1998 fighting game by Capcom originally released for the CPS II arcade hardware. It is the third game in the Street ...more
- Street Fighter Alpha 2, known as Street Fighter Zero 2 in Japan, Asia and South America, is a 1996 fighting game originally released for the CPS II arcade hardware by Capcom. The game is both a ...more