The conflict that cost the world more lives than any other war, saw the dropping of not one, but two nuclear bombs on populated cities, and embroiled the planet for the better part of a decade is also one of the most common settings for video games since gaming was developed. World War II was such a massive conflict that it makes sense that players would want to take part in it, and that's why there are tons of WW2 games available for players to enjoy.
One of the best games set during the conflict is Call of Duty, which features ground warfare from the perspective of the troops fighting against the Axis powers across Europe. Other games like Medal of Honor: Vanguard and Anti-Japan War Online explore the Pacific theater in all its gory detail. Because the genre has been around for as long as video games have been in development, there are tons of older arcade games set during WWII as well. You can blow up planes and bomb important targets in games like 1941: Counter Attack or hop into an armored tank in Achtung Panzer: Kharkov 1943.
Vote up your favorite World War II games. If there is a WW2 game that's not here, add it so we can determine which is the best WW2 game of them all!
- Call of Duty: World at War is a 2008 first-person shooter video game developed by Treyarch and published by Activision Blizzard for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Wii, and Xbox 360. It is ...more
If you love this game, be sure to vote it up in our list of all Medal of Honor games, ranked.Medal of Honor: Allied Assault is a 2002 first-person shooter video game developed by 2015, Inc. It was published by EA Games and officially released for Microsoft Windows on January 22, 2002 in ...more
- Medal of Honor: Rising Sun is the fifth installment of the Medal of Honor video game series, released by EA Games in November 2003. Like its predecessors, Rising Sun is a first-person shooter set in ...more
- Panzer General III: Scorched Earth is a turn-based tactics computer game by Mattel based on the game Panzer General 3D Assault by Strategic Simulations, Inc., which was owned by Mattel. Panzer ...more
- Medal of Honor: Airborne is a World War II first-person shooter video game and the 11th installment of the Medal of Honor series. It was developed by EA LA and was released worldwide on Microsoft ...more
- Medal of Honor: Frontline is the fourth game in the Medal of Honor series, and was published by EA Games. The player character in the game is that of Lt. Jimmy Patterson, from the American OSS. ...more
- Battlefield 1942 is a 3D World War II first-person shooter video game developed by Swedish company Digital Illusions CE and published by Electronic Arts for Microsoft Windows and Apple Macintosh. The ...more
- Call of Duty is a 2003 first-person shooter video game developed by Infinity Ward and published by Activision. The game simulates the infantry and combined arms warfare of World War II. The game is ...more
- Call of Duty 2 is a 2005 first-person shooter video game and the second installment in the critically acclaimed Call of Duty series. It was developed by Infinity Ward and published by Konami in Japan ...more
- Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault is a first-person shooter computer game the story of which takes place during the Pacific War. It is the 7th installment of the Medal of Honor series.
- Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts is the stand alone expansion pack to Company of Heroes, a real-time strategy game for computers running the Windows operating system. It was announced on April 5, ...more
- Company of Heroes is a 2006 real-time strategy video game developed by Relic Entertainment. It was the first title to make use of the Games for Windows label. A standalone expansion, Opposing Fronts, ...more
- Axis & Allies is a 1998 turn-based strategy video game closely based on the Axis and Allies: Classic board game. Players take control of one of five world powers at the start of 1942 in WW2, grouped ...more
- 14Medal of Honor is a 1999 first-person shooter video game, developed by DreamWorks Interactive and published by Electronic Arts for PlayStation. It is the first installment in the Medal of Honor video ...more
- Sniper Elite 4 is a third-person tactical shooter stealth video game developed by Rebellion Developments. The sequel to Sniper Elite III, the game was released for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 ...more
- Call of Duty: WWII is a 2017 first-person shooter video game developed by Sledgehammer Games and published by Activision. The game is set in the European theatre, and is centered around a squad in ...more
- Call of Duty 3 is a 2006 first-person shooter video game developed by Treyarch and published by Activision. It is the third major installment in the Call of Duty video game series. It was released ...more
- Medal of Honor: Vanguard is the tenth installment in the Medal of Honor series of World War II first-person shooters. It was developed by EA Los Angeles and released for the PlayStation 2 and Wii.
- Allied General is a turn-based strategy video game set in World War II that features the Allied side of operations. Players can progress through four campaigns as an Allied general against Axis ...more
- Sniper Elite V2 is a 2012 tactical shooter video game developed by Rebellion Developments and published by 505 Games for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and later Wii U consoles and a developer ...more
- Medal of Honor: European Assault is the 8th installment in the long-running Medal of Honor series. European Assault was released for GameCube in January 2005, and PlayStation 2, Xbox in June 2005. ...more
- Wolfenstein is a first-person shooter video game co-developed by Raven Software and Endrant Studios and published by Activision. It is the sequel to Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and uses a heavily ...more
- 23Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 is a first-person shooter video game developed by Gearbox Software and published by Ubisoft for Xbox, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 2 and OS X. It is the first game ...more
- Panzer General is a computer wargame published by Strategic Simulations in 1994 and set in World War II.
- Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of WWII is the second of two expansions to the World War II first-person shooter computer game Battlefield 1942. It is developed by Digital Illusions CE and published ...more