Here is a list of the most popular amusement parks that can be found in the US. Theme parks can be great destinations for quick getaways or family vacations. Roller Coaster parks add that bit of excitement your vacation needs. Feel free to comment on the parks you've been to and make your own list using the make your version button. Even though amusements parks are loads of fun, still be careful because there's always the occasional horrible theme park accident that occurs. The US theme parks can be voted up or down according to preferences.
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domain1
Cedar PointCedar Point is a 365-acre amusement park located on a Lake Erie peninsula in Sandusky, Ohio. Opened in 1870, it is the second-oldest operating amusement park in the United States behind Lake Compounce. Cedar Point is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company and is considered the flagship of the amusement park chain. Known as "America's Roller Coast", the park features a world-record 72 rides, including 16 roller coasters which ties it with Canada's Wonderland for the second-most roller coasters in an amusement park behind Six Flags Magic Mountain. Its newest roller coaster, GateKeeper, opened in May 2013. Cedar Point's normal operating season runs from early May until Labor... more
957315Is this a great amusement park?
- Located In: Sandusky, Ohio, USA
- Area (km sq.): 1.47
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainKings Island is a 364-acre amusement park located 24 miles northeast of Cincinnati in Mason, Ohio. It is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company. The park first opened in 1972 by the Taft Broadcasting Company in an effort to move and expand Coney Island, a popular resort destination along the banks of the Ohio River that was prone to frequent flooding. After more than $275 million in capital investments, the park features over 80 rides, shows and attractions including 14 roller coasters and a 33-acre water park. Throughout its history, Kings Island has appeared in popular sitcoms and has been highly publicized for its record-breaking attractions and events. One of the park's... more
523221Is this a great amusement park?
- Located In: Mason, Ohio, USA
- Area (km sq.): 1.47
- Hersheypark is a family theme park situated in Derry Township, Pennsylvania, United States, about 15 miles east of Harrisburg, and 95 miles west of Philadelphia. Founded in 1906 by Milton S. Hershey, as a leisure park for the employees of the Hershey Chocolate Company, as of 2013, the park is wholly and privately owned by Hershey Entertainment & Resorts Company. The park has won several awards, including the IAAPA Applause Award.The park opened its first roller coaster in 1923, the The Wild Cat, an early Philadelphia Toboggan Company coaster. In 1970, Hershey Park began a redevelopment plan which made the park into the new Hersheypark. The 1970s brought the first looping roller coaster on... more
480204Is this a great amusement park?
- Located In: Hershey, Pennsylvania, USA
- Area (km sq.): 0.49
- Busch Gardens Tampa is a 335-acre 19th century African-themed animal theme park located in the city of Tampa, Florida. It opened on March 31, 1959 as an admission-free hospitality facility for Tampa Anheuser-Busch; in addition to various beer tastings they had, a bird garden and the Stairway to the Stars which was an escalator that took guests to the roof of the brewery. Busch Gardens continued to grow, and in 1965, opened the 29-acre Serengeti Plains, which allowed the African wildlife to roam freely. It continued to focus on its tropical landscape, exotic animals, and amusements to draw visitors. Busch Gardens began charging admission as the entertainment became more complex, with extra... more
351155Is this a great amusement park?
- Located In: Tampa Bay, Florida, USA
- Area (km sq.): 1.36