The Best Amusement Parks In America
American Amusement Parks Only.
Here is a list of the most popular amusement parks that can be found in the US. Theme parks can be great destinations for quick getaways or family vacations. Roller Coaster parks add that bit of excitement your vacation needs. Feel free to comment on the parks you've been to and make your own list using the make your version button. Even though amusements parks are loads of fun, still be careful because there's always the occasional horrible theme park accident that occurs. The US theme parks can be voted up or down according to preferences.
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domain11,501 VOTES
Cedar PointCedar Point is a 365-acre amusement park located on a Lake Erie peninsula in Sandusky, Ohio. Opened in 1870, it is the second-oldest operating amusement park in the United States behind Lake Compounce. Cedar Point is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company and is considered the flagship of the amusement park chain. Known as "America's Roller Coast", the park features a world-record 72 rides, including 16 roller coasters which ties it with Canada's Wonderland for the second-most roller coasters in an amusement park behind Six Flags Magic Mountain. Its newest roller coaster, GateKeeper, opened in May 2013. Cedar Point's normal operating season runs from early May until Labor ...more
- Located In: Sandusky, Ohio, USA
- Area (km sq.): 1.47
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / CC-BY-SA-2.52160 VOTES
Silver Dollar CitySilver Dollar City is a theme park in the state of Missouri. Opened on May 1, 1960, the park is located between Branson and Branson West on Missouri Route 76. The park is an 1880's-themed experience that fits Branson's vision as a family-friendly vacation destination with down-home charm. Silver Dollar City's operating season runs from mid-March until late December, with the park closed during the months of January and February. Silver Dollar City is owned by the Herschend Family Entertainment, which owns, operates or partners in 25 properties in 10 states and includes the nearby water park, White Water; water excursion and theatre, the Showboat Branson Belle; water and land tour attraction ...more
- Located In: Missouri, USA
- Area (km sq.): 0.22
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domain3922 VOTESKings Island is a 364-acre amusement park located 24 miles northeast of Cincinnati in Mason, Ohio. It is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company. The park first opened in 1972 by the Taft Broadcasting Company in an effort to move and expand Coney Island, a popular resort destination along the banks of the Ohio River that was prone to frequent flooding. After more than $275 million in capital investments, the park features over 80 rides, shows and attractions including 14 roller coasters and a 33-acre water park. Throughout its history, Kings Island has appeared in popular sitcoms and has been highly publicized for its record-breaking attractions and events. One of the park's ...more
- Located In: Mason, Ohio, USA
- Area (km sq.): 1.47
- 4855 VOTESHersheypark is a family theme park situated in Derry Township, Pennsylvania, United States, about 15 miles east of Harrisburg, and 95 miles west of Philadelphia. Founded in 1906 by Milton S. Hershey, as a leisure park for the employees of the Hershey Chocolate Company, as of 2013, the park is wholly and privately owned by Hershey Entertainment & Resorts Company. The park has won several awards, including the IAAPA Applause Award.The park opened its first roller coaster in 1923, the The Wild Cat, an early Philadelphia Toboggan Company coaster. In 1970, Hershey Park began a redevelopment plan which made the park into the new Hersheypark. The 1970s brought the first looping roller coaster on ...more
- Located In: Hershey, Pennsylvania, USA
- Area (km sq.): 0.49
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Fair use51,081 VOTESUniversal Studios Florida is a theme park located in Orlando, Florida. Opened on June 7, 1990, the park's theme is the entertainment industry, in particular movies and television. Universal Studios Florida inspires its guests to "ride the movies", and it features numerous attractions and live shows. The park is one component of the larger Universal Orlando Resort. In 2013, the park hosted an estimated 7.06 million guests, ranking it the eighth-most visited theme park in the United States, and ranking it sixteenth worldwide.
- Located In: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Fair use6324 VOTESKnott's Berry Farm is a 160-acre theme park in Buena Park, California, owned by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company. Since the theme park's acquisition by Cedar Fair, the park's annual attendance has steadily increased. The 2013 Global Attractions Attendance Report states Knott's Berry Farm is the 13th most visited theme park in North America. The theme park has approximately 10,000 seasonal/full-time employees. The park features 40 rides including roller coasters, family rides, children's rides, water rides, and historical rides, with plans to expand in the future. The park is accessible by public transportation. The theme park sits on the site of a former berry farm established by Walter ...more
- Located In: Buena Park, California
- Area (km sq.): 0.65