30 Celebrities Who Have Struggled With Anorexia
List of anorexic celebrities, loosely ranked by fame and popularity. Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder in which an individual essentially starves themselves in order to get thinner. Several famous actresses, actors, and musicians have struggled with anorexia. Many of these celebrities blame increased pressure to look perfect as a catalyst for their development of the condition.
Who is the most famous person who has anorexia? Kate Beckinsale tops this list. Beckinsale struggled with anorexia as a teenager. "Arrested Development" actress Portia de Rossi recalled her struggle with anorexia in her book, Unbearable Lightness.
Dennis Quaid struggled with anorexia after he dropped 40 pounds to play Doc Holiday in Wyatt Earp. He said he could not pull himself out of the thoughts that he was still too heavy. Actress Brittany Snow has battled anorexia as well. The Hairspray star says that she went through a nine-year struggle during which she starved and cut herself.Do you think that the media plays a role in encouraging celebrities to develop anorexia? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
- Photo: Metaweb / GNU Free Documentation LicenseKate Beckinsale struggled with anorexia as a teenager.
- Born: 07-26-1973
- Age: 49
- Birthplace: Finsbury Park, London, England, UK
Karen Carpenter suffered from anorexia for much of her adult life. When she was just 32 years old her, heart failed as a result of complications with the eating disorder.
- Born: 03-02-1950
- Age: Dec. at 32 (1950-1983)
- Birthplace: New Haven, Connecticut, United States of America
- Fiona Apple developed anorexia after being raped when she was just 12 years old. She wanted her body to appear unappealing to potential attackers.
- Born: 09-13-1977
- Age: 45
- Birthplace: Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States of America
- "Arrested Development" actress Portia de Rossi recalled her struggle with anorexia in her book, Unbearable Lightness.
- Born: 01-31-1973
- Age: 50
- Birthplace: Horsham, Australia
- Calista Flockhart has always denied being anorexic, but many people believed that she suffered from the eating disorder during her tenure on "Ally McBeal."
- Born: 11-11-1964
- Age: 58
- Birthplace: Freeport, Illinois, United States of America
- Photo: Metaweb / GNU Free Documentation License"Growing Pains" actress Tracey Gold was one of the first celebrities to speak out about her struggles with anorexia.
- Born: 05-16-1969
- Age: 54
- Birthplace: New York City, New York, USA