This list of famous athletes of Irish descent is loosely ranked by fame and popularity. Many famous athletes are of Irish descent. Some of them have a mixed heritage while others are 100 percent Irish. Sports superstars of Irish descent have had successful careers in baseball, football, and basketball and many professional boxers, wrestlers, and MMA fighters are of Irish descent.
Who is the most famous athlete of Irish descent? Tom Brady tops this list. He is of Irish and German descent. Brady was drafted by the New England Patriots in round 6 of the 2000 draft. He is a three time Super Bowl champion. Brady's fellow NFL quarterback, John Elway, is of partial Irish descent. The Denver Broncos quarterback was chosen first in the NFL draft in 1983.
Many athletes who specialize in fighting are of Irish ancestry. WWE and TNA wrestlers Matt and Jeff Hardy are of Irish descent, as is their childhood friend and fellow pro wrestler Shannon Moore. Boxing legend Muhammad Ali is of Irish, English, and African American descent. He won a gold metal in the 1960 Olympics.How do you celebrate the multi-cultural aspects of your heritage? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
- Photo: Metaweb / GNU Free Documentation LicenseMLB player Derek Jeter is of Irish, German, and African American descent. He is a five time World Series Champion.
- Born: 1974-06-26
- Age: 46
- Birthplace: Pequannock, New Jersey, United States of America
- Photo: flickr / CC0WWE Wrestler Jeff Hardy is of partial Irish descent.
- Born: 1977-08-31
- Age: 43
- Birthplace: Cameron, North Carolina, United States of America
- Photo: Metaweb / GNU Free Documentation LicenseWWE wrestler Matt Hardy is of partial Irish descent.
- Born: 1974-09-23
- Age: 46
- Photo: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BYTennis legend John McEnroe was born in Germany and is of Irish and German descent. He is a three time champion at Wimbledon.
- Born: 1959-02-16
- Age: 61
- Birthplace: Wiesbaden, Germany