This list of famous athletes of Irish descent is loosely ranked by fame and popularity. Many famous athletes are of Irish descent. Some of them have a mixed heritage while others are 100 percent Irish. Sports superstars of Irish descent have had successful careers in baseball, football, and basketball and many professional boxers, wrestlers, and MMA fighters are of Irish descent.
Who is the most famous athlete of Irish descent? Tom Brady tops this list. He is of Irish and German descent. Brady was drafted by the New England Patriots in round 6 of the 2000 draft. He is a three time Super Bowl champion. Brady's fellow NFL quarterback, John Elway, is of partial Irish descent. The Denver Broncos quarterback was chosen first in the NFL draft in 1983.
Many athletes who specialize in fighting are of Irish ancestry. WWE and TNA wrestlers Matt and Jeff Hardy are of Irish descent, as is their childhood friend and fellow pro wrestler Shannon Moore. Boxing legend Muhammad Ali is of Irish, English, and African American descent. He won a gold metal in the 1960 Olympics.How do you celebrate the multi-cultural aspects of your heritage? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
- Photo: Metaweb / CC-BYNFL quarterbackTom Brady is of Irish and German descent. He is a three time Super Bowl Champion.
- Born: 1977-08-03
- Age: 43
- Birthplace: USA, California, San Mateo
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainBoxing legend Muhammad Ali is of Irish, English, and African American descent. He won a gold metal in the 1960 Olympics.
- Born: 1942-01-17
- Age: 78
- Birthplace: Louisville, Kentucky, United States of America
- Photo: Metaweb / GNU Free Documentation LicenseCyclist Lance Armstrong is of Norwegian and Irish descent. He won the Tour de France seven consecutive times.
- Born: 1971-09-18
- Age: 49
- Birthplace: Plano, Texas, United States of America
- Photo: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BYWWE superstar CM Punk is of partial Irish descent.
- Born: 1978-10-26
- Age: 41
- Birthplace: Chicago, Illinois, United States of America