On the field, athletes are trained and expected to destroy their opponents. These athletes who are felons, however, took that violence off the field and into their real lives when they committed serious crimes. Several famous boxers, NBA players, and football stars have committed felonies. Some of these professional athletes have been convicted of robbery, while others have been convicted of murder. One famous football player was even charged with possession of a weapon after accidentally shooting himself.
Who is the most famous athlete who is also a felon? Mike Tyson tops our list. Mike Tyson has been convicted of several serious offenses, including rape, road rage, possession of narcotics, and DUI. He has spent a total of about a year in prison for these crimes. In 2007, O. J. Simpson was convicted of armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon, burglary, and conspiracy. He was sentenced to nine to 33 years in prison for these crimes.
In 2008, Plaxico Burress plead guilty to unlawful possession of a firearm and reckless endangerment after accidentally shooting himself in a nightclub. In the 1990s, Tonya Harding was convicted of hindering a police investigation and domestic violence. In the 2000s, she received two DUIs.Are you surprised that so many professional athletes have committed serious felonies? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
- Mike Tyson has been convicted on several serious offenses including rape, road rage, possession of narcotics and DUI. He has spent a total of about a year in prison for these crimes.
- Age: 55
- Birthplace: Brooklyn, New York, USA
- Michael Vick was indicted on conspiracy and animal cruelty in 2007. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison for these crimes.
- Age: 41
- Birthplace: Virginia
- Teams: Atlanta Falcons, Philadelphia Eagles, Pittsburgh Steelers
- Dany Heatley was convicted of vehicular homicide in 2003.
- Age: 40
- Birthplace: Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
- Teams: San Jose Sharks, Anaheim Ducks, Minnesota Wild, Atlanta Thrashers, Ottawa Senators
- Barry Bonds was indicted on four counts of perjury in 2007 and he was convicted of Obstruction of Justice in 2011. He was sentenced to 2 years probation and 30 days home confinement for the crimes.
- Age: 57
- Birthplace: Riverside, California, United States of America
- Teams: San Francisco Giants, San Francisco Giants, Pittsburgh Pirates, Pittsburgh Pirates