Many professional athletes are held to a higher standard when it comes to using recreational and performance-enhancing drugs. Athletes who failed drug tests are sometimes chided as bad role models, and are occasionally even forced to renounce their titles due to drug use. Several famous MMA fighters, MLB players, and NFL stars have failed drug tests. Some of these athletes tested positive for recreational drugs, like marijuana and cocaine, while others tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs, like steroids and human growth hormones.
Who is the most famous athlete who failed a drug test? Alex Rodriguez tops our list. In 2006, A-Rod failed a drug test when testosterone and primobolan showed up in his results. Lance Armstrong admitted to using Erythropoietin (EPO), Human Growth Hormone, testosterone, Cortisone and blood transfusions. He also failed four drug tests back in 1999. In 2012, Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps admitted to smoking marijuana.
Ricky Williams tested positive for cannabis and other drugs in 2006. Ken Shamrock tested positive for Stanozolol, 19-Norandrosterone and 19-Noretiocholanolone in 2009. Chris Andersen was kicked out of the NBA for violating the league's drug policy in 2006. Wes Welker was suspended for four games for taking MDMA in 2014. Lyle Alzado admitted to taking Anabolic steroids and blamed the drugs for his cancer diagnoses. He died from brain lymphoma in 1992.Are you surprised that so many professional athletes failed drug tests? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
- In 2006, Alex Rodriguez failed a drug test when Testosterone and primobolan showed up in his results.
- Age: 46
- Birthplace: Washington Heights, New York City, New York, United States of America
- Lance Armstrong admitted to using Erythropoietin (EPO), Human Growth Hormone, Testosterone, Cortisone and Blood transfusions. He also failed four drug tests in 1999.
- Age: 50
- Birthplace: Plano, Texas, United States of America
- Barry Bonds was suspended when he tested positive for Amphetamines as he was a first offender. In 2008, information came out that alleged that Bonds had failed several drug tests, testing positive for steroids.
- Age: 57
- Birthplace: Riverside, California, United States of America
- Teams: San Francisco Giants, San Francisco Giants, Pittsburgh Pirates, Pittsburgh Pirates
- Roger Clemens tested positive for Anabolic steroids according to a 2007 report.
- Age: 59
- Birthplace: Dayton, Ohio, United States of America
- Teams: New York Yankees, New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Boston Red Sox, Toronto Blue Jays