The best 2000s Black movies boast powerhouse performances from some of the finest African American actors ever to grace the screen. This list of 2000s Black films feature acclaimed turns from Will Smith, Beyonce Knowles, Jamie Foxx, and Denzel Washington. Unsurprisingly, several of these Black movies released in the 2000s won Oscars, but with this 2000s Black movie list, you can decide which films were really the best.
What are some of the top Black films of the 2000s? There are many contenders, including Hotel Rwanda, for example, follows the struggle of Tutsi refugees during the conflict with the Hutu militia. Jamie Foxx earned a Best Actor Oscar for his portrayal of Ray Charles in the 2004 film Ray, while Mo'Nique won the Best Supporting Actress Academy Award for her memorable role in 2009's Precious.
Many of the best African American movies of the 2000s are comedies. Barbershop, Down to Earth, and How High all appear on this list of '00s African American movies. In 2009, Disney even introduced its first African American princess in the film The Princess and the Frog.
Vote up your favorites and downvote the ones that won't withstand the test of time. The votes change the list order, so it's up to you to help decide the the greatest back movie of the 2000s. Add any movie we may have missed and rerank the whole list to share your own version!
- In the late 1980s, Ace (Wood Harris) is a young man employed by a Harlem dry cleaning shop, working hard to stay out of the drug business. While making deliveries, he meets Lulu (Esai Morales), a ...more
- Monica (Sanaa Lathan) and Quincy (Omar Epps) are two childhood friends who both aspire to be professional basketball players. Quincy, whose father, Zeke (Dennis Haysbert), plays for the Los Angeles ...more
- Craig (Ice Cube) bails his friend out of trouble, survives a climatic confrontation with Debo, the neighborhood bully, and ends up with the girl. In "Next Friday" the bully is back as Debo, who spent ...more
- Four working-class teenagers live in an Atlanta neighborhood where hip-hop music rules and the coolest place to hang out is the local rollerskating rink. As the friends look forward to new horizons ...more
- A smart comedy about a day in the life of a barbershop on the south side of Chicago. Calvin (Ice Cube), who inherited the struggling business from his deceased father, views the shop as nothing but a ...more
- Life is a struggle for single father Chris Gardner (Will Smith). Evicted from their apartment, he and his young son (Jaden Christopher Syre Smith) find themselves alone with no place to go. Even ...more
- The story of Jody (Tyrese Gibson), a misguided, 20-year-old African-American who is really just a baby boy finally forced-kicking and screaming to face the commitments of real life. Streetwise and ...more
- The drug ecstasy is flowing into Miami, and the police want it stopped. Police Detective Marcus Burnett (Martin Lawrence) and his partner, Mike Lowrey (Will Smith), are just the men to do it. They ...more
- FBI agent Malcolm Turner is tough, smart and a master of disguise. There's nothing he can't handle. So Malcolm, taking on his most challenging "role" ever, decides to impersonate the cantankerous ...more
- Bounty hunter Bucum Jackson (Ice Cube) teams with the small-time con artist, Reggie Wright (Mike Epps), that he is pursuing, in an attempt to locate a missing stash of diamonds and a lottery ticket ...more
- After losing his mother to murder as a boy, Marcus (Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson) has little support in his life. He starts working for drug dealer Levar (Bill Duke) and his assistant (Adewale ...more
- After his brother's death, a troubled but gifted street dancer enrolls in Atlanta's Truth University. As he tries to concentrate on his studies and woo a pretty classmate, he finds himself in the ...more
- Legendary soul musician Ray Charles is portrayed by Jamie Foxx in this Oscar-winning biopic. Young Ray watches his 7-year-old brother drown at age seven. When he loses his sight at the age of 9, his ...more
- Deena (Beyoncé Knowles),Effie (Jennifer Hudson) and Lorrell (Anika Noni Rose) form a music trio called the Dreamettes. When ambitious manager Curtis Taylor Jr. (Jamie Foxx) spots the act at a talent ...more
- Story centers on a man whose nine-year-old son is in desperate need of a life-saving transplant. When he discovers that his medical insurance won't cover the costs of the surgery and alternative ...more
- Set against the high-energy, high-stakes world of show-style marching bands, "Drumline" is a fish-out-of-water comedy about a talented street drummer from Harlem who enrolls in a Southern university, ...more
- Multi-platinum rap superstars Redman and Method Man star as Jamal and Silas, two regular guys who smoke something magical, ace their college entrance exams and wind up at Harvard. Ivy League ways are ...more
- Born and raised in Brooklyn, N.Y., Christopher Wallace (Jamal Woolard) parlays his gift for storytelling into a career as a rap artist. Eventually dubbing himself Biggie Smalls, then later, the ...more
- Sidney (Sanaa Lathan) and Dre (Taye Diggs) can attribute their friendship and the launch of their careers to one single childhood instant ... witnessing the birth of hip-hop on a New York street ...more
- The touching story of a sailor (Derek Luke) who, prone to violent outbursts, is sent to a naval psychiatrist (Denzel Washington) for help. Refusing at first to open up, the young man eventually ...more
- Akeelah, an 11-year-old girl living in South Los Angeles, discovers she has a talent for spelling, which she hopes will take her to the National Spelling Bee. Despite her mother's objections, Akeelah ...more
- Finds Craig (Ice Cube) and Day-Day (Mike Epps) back in the old neighborhood where it all began. It's Christmas time and a ghetto Santa Claus breaks into their run-down apartment, stealing all their ...more
- Attempting to win the favor of the newly divorced Suzanne (Nia Long), Nick (Ice Cube) offers to accompany her children, Lindsey (Aleisha Allen) and Kevin (Philip Bolden), on a flight from Portland, ...more
- Earl Montgomery (Martin Lawrence), a bombastic police academy reject, and Hank Rafferty (Steve Zahn), a disgraced, mild-mannered cop, can't seem to escape each other. They met on opposite sides of ...more
- With wit and athletic genius, with defiant rage and inner grace, Muhammad Ali forever changed the American landscape. Fighting all comers, Ali took on the law, conventions, the status quo and the war ...more