The best 1970s military TV shows come in many genres. Some of the top '70s military series are dramas, while other good 1970s military TV shows are comedies. World War II, the Civil War and the Vietnam War are just a few of the events covered in the programs on this list.
What are some of the series that you will find on this best 1970s military TV shows list? Hogan's Heroes appears near the top of this collection of military shows. This hilarious sitcom found humor in the most unexpected of places – a German POW camp amidst WWII. M*A*S*H is another good military show that aired during the 1970s, and was one of the most popular television shows of all time for many years.
A fictional British Army infantry regiment was featured in the ITV show Spearhead from 1978 – 1981. Other great series that are included on this top 1970s military TV shows list include Patrol Boat, Danger UXB and Spyforce.
What are the best 1970s military TV series? Did the military shows you think were the best make this list? Vote up the '70s military shows you think are the best of the decade.
- Hogan's Heroes is an American television sitcom set in a German prisoner during WWII. It ran for 168 episodes from September 17, 1965, to April 4, 1971, on the CBS network. Bob Crane starred as Colonel Robert E. Hogan, coordinating an international crew of Allied prisoners running a Special Operations group from the camp. Werner Klemperer played Colonel Wilhelm Klink, the incompetent commandant of the camp, and John Banner was the inept sergeant-of-the-guard, Hans Schultz.
- Actors: Bob Crane, Werner Klemperer, John Banner
- Premiered: September 17, 1965
- Photo: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BYArmy surgeons blow off steam between hours of combat surgery.
- Actors: Alan Alda, McLean Stevenson, Wayne Rogers, Mike Farrell, Gary Burghoff
- Premiered: September 17, 1972
- Photo: flickr / CC03
Baa Baa Black Sheep
- C.P.O. Sharkey is an American sitcom which aired from 1976 to 1978 on NBC.
- Actors: Don Rickles, Harrison Page, David Landsberg, Elizabeth Allen, Richard X. Slattery
- Premiered: 1976