These are the best 1980s horror series ranked from best to worst by user votes. Some of these great 80s horror TV shows heavily featured classic monsters that any horror fan would be familiar with, while some other good 1980s horror shows injected some campy comedy into their storylines to be more a part of the horror/comedy sub-genre. A few of the best 80s horror series have even been adapted into feature films.
What shows are featured on this best 1980s horror TV shows list? Without a doubt, Tales From the Crypt is one of the greatest horror shows of the 1980s. Premiering in 1989, this collection of scary shorts generated many nightmares during its seven season run. Elvira's Movie Macabra is another good horror show that aired in the 80s.
Freddy Krueger got the opportunity to haunt viewers on a weekly basis with Freddy's Nightmares. Other good shows that appear on this top 1980s horror TV shows list include Werewolf, Tales From the Darkside and The New Alfred Hitchcock Presents.
What are the best 1980s horror TV series? Did the scary shows you think were the best make this list? Vote up the '80s horror shows you think are the best of the decade.
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Fair use110924Tales from the Darkside is an American anthology horror TV series created by George A. Romero; it debuted in 1984. Similar to Amazing Stories, The Twilight Zone, Night Gallery, The Outer Limits, Tales From The Crypt, Monsters, and Lee Martin's The Midnight Hour, each episode was an individual short story that ended with a plot twist. The series' episodes spanned the genres of horror, science fiction, and fantasy, and some episodes featured elements of black comedy or more lighthearted themes.... more
- Actors: Paul Sparer
- Premiered: October 29, 1983
- Photo: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BY211226Tales from the Crypt, sometimes titled HBO's Tales from the Crypt, is an American horror anthology television series that ran from June 10, 1989, to July 19, 1996, on the premium cable channel HBO for seven seasons with a total of 99 episodes. The title is based on the 1950s EC Comics series of the same name and most of the content originated in that comic or the six other EC Comics of the time. The show was produced by HBO with uncredited association by The Geffen Film Company and Warner Bros. Television. ... more
- Actors: Kirk Douglas
- Premiered: June 10, 1989
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Fair useAlfred Hitchcock Presents, sometimes called The New Alfred Hitchcock Presents, is an American anthology series that aired on NBC from 1985 to 1986, and on the USA Network from 1987 to 1989. The series is an updated re-imagining of the classic 1955 series of the same name.... more
- Actors: Eve Crawford
- Premiered: September 29, 1985
- Photo: user uploaded image45325Monsters is a syndicated horror anthology series which originally ran from 1988 to 1991 and reran on the Sci-Fi Channel during the 1990s. As of 2011, Monsters airs on NBC Universal's horror/suspense-themed cable channel Chiller in sporadic weekday marathons. Monsters shares a producer with Tales from the Darkside, and in some ways succeeded the show. It differed in some respects nonetheless. While Tales sometimes dabbles in stories of science fiction and fantasy, this series is more strictly horror. As the name implies, each episode of Monsters features a different monster which the story concerned, from the animatronic puppet of a fictional children's television program to mutated,... more
- Actors: Kevin Nealon, Wil Wheaton, Jerry Stiller, James Morrison, Amy Stiller
- Premiered: 1988