It seems like the '80s were a golden age for, well, coming-of-age stories on television. These are the best 1980s teen shows, ranked from best to worst by user votes. Some of the best 80s teen shows packed each episode with a message that kids could act on in their own lives, while others were less concerned with teaching lessons and more concerned with supplying a few laughs. There is certainly room for both on TV.
What are some examples of TV shows you can expect to find on this 1980s teen shows list? The Wonder Years, which premiered in 1988, set the standard for every teen series that followed. Though it aired in the 1980s and '90s, the plot of the show followed Arnold Family throughout the '60s and '70s. Saved By the Bell was another great young adult program that was on television in the 1980s. It's also worth bringing up the fact that before she was Carrie Bradshaw, Sarah Jessica Parker starred as Patty Greene in another top 80s teen show, Square Pegs.
So, which is the best 80s teen series? Vote up your favorites and see if other Ranker voters agree with you!
- Saved by the Bell is an American television sitcom that aired on NBC from 1989 to 1993. A retool of the Disney Channel series Good Morning, Miss Bliss, the show follows a group of friends and their principal. Primarily focusing on lighthearted comedic situations, it occasionally touches on serious social issues homelessness, remarriage, women's rights, and environmental issues. The series starred Mark-Paul Gosselaar, Dustin Diamond, Lark Voorhies, Dennis Haskins, Tiffani-Amber Thiessen, Elizabeth Berkley, and Mario Lopez. ... more
22672Is this one of the best?
- Actors: Mark-Paul Gosselaar, Mario Lopez, Dustin Diamond
- Premiered: 1989
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Fair useThe Facts of Life is an American sitcom that originally ran on the NBC television network from August 24, 1979, to May 7, 1988, making it one of the longest running sitcoms of the 1980s. A spin-off of the sitcom Diff'rent Strokes, the series' premise focuses on Edna Garrett as she becomes a housemother at the fictional Eastland School, an all-female boarding school in Peekskill, New York.... more
16859Is this one of the best?
- Actors: Lisa Whelchel, Kim Fields, Mindy Cohn
- Premiered: 1979
- Doogie Howser, M.D. is an American comedy-drama television series that ran for four seasons on ABC from September 19, 1989 to July 28, 1993, totaling 97 episodes. Created by Steven Bochco and David E. Kelley, it stars Neil Patrick Harris in the title role as a teenage physician who also faces the problems of being a normal teenager.... more
11382Is this one of the best?
- Actors: Neil Patrick Harris, Max Casella, Belinda Montgomery
- Premiered: 1989
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Fair useA Different World (NBC, 1987) is an American sitcom created by Bill Cosby, and a spin-off of The Cosby Show. A group of students struggles to make it through college as they attend a renowned Black university.... more
11996Is this one of the best?
- Actors: Lisa Bonet, Kadeem Hardison, Jasmine Guy
- Premiered: 1987