Heroic characters, beautiful love stories, and tales of survival comprise the best drama movies of 2016. The best 2016 drama films told stories of famous historical figures, intimate relationships, and desperate situations. This is a list of the best drama movies of 2016 featuring everything from The Lobster to La La Land to Sully.
What films will you find on this roundup of the best 2016 drama movies? You won't be surprised to see Moonlight here. Written and directed by Barry Jenkins, this film is expected to win a lot of trophies during awards season. It is based on the play In Moonlight Black Boys Look Blue by Tarell Alvin McCraney, and tells the story of a young man dealing with a dysfunctional family, the war on drugs, and his own sexuality. The original musical La La Land is another one of the best dramas of 2016. Hello, My Name Is Doris was a favorite among fans of independent cinema in 2016. Other good films featured on this best 2016 dramas list include Don't Think Twice, Miles Ahead, and Hell or High Water.
Which 2016 drama is the best? That's up to you to decide. Looking for more drama? Check out these 2019 drama films.
- Linguistics professor Louise Banks (Amy Adams) leads an elite team of investigators when gigantic spaceships touch down in 12 locations around the world. As nations teeter on the verge of global war, ...more
- The true story of Pfc. Desmond T. Doss (Andrew Garfield), who won the Congressional Medal of Honor despite refusing to bear arms during WWII on religious grounds. Doss was drafted and ostracized by ...more
- 3Five year old Saroo gets lost on a train which takes him thousands of miles across India, away from home and family. Saroo must learn to survive alone in Kolkata, before ultimately being adopted by ...more
- La La Land is a 2016 American romantic musical comedy-drama film written and directed by Damien Chazelle and starring Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, John Legend, and Rosemarie DeWitt. The plot follows a ...more
- Toby is a divorced father who's trying to make a better life for his son. His brother Tanner is an ex-convict with a short temper and a loose trigger finger. Together, they plan a series of heists ...more
- On Jan. 15, 2009, Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger (Tom Hanks) tries to make an emergency landing in New York's Hudson River after US Airways Flight 1549 strikes a flock of geese. Miraculously, all ...more
- Loving is a 2016 historical drama film written and directed by Jeff Nichols. It features Joel Edgerton and Ruth Negga as Richard and Mildred Loving, the plaintiffs in the 1967 U.S. Supreme Court ...more
- In a dystopian society, single people must find a mate within 45 days or be transformed into an animal of their choice.
- A look at three defining chapters in the life of Chiron, a young black man growing up in Miami. His epic journey to manhood is guided by the kindness, support and love of the community that helps ...more
- Ben Cash (Viggo Mortensen), his wife Leslie and their six children live deep in the wilderness of Washington state. Isolated from society, Ben and Leslie devote their existence to raising their kids ...more
Love and Friendship
- The government and a group of religious extremists pursue a man (Michael Shannon) and his son (Jaeden Lieberher), a young boy who possesses special powers.
- After the death of his older brother Joe, Lee Chandler (Casey Affleck) is shocked that Joe has made him sole guardian of his teenage nephew Patrick. Taking leave of his job as a janitor in Boston, ...more
Rules Don't Apply
- With help from her best friend's (Tyne Daly) granddaughter (Isabella Acres), a smitten woman (Sally Field) concocts schemes to get the attention of a younger co-worker (Max Greenfield) in her office.
- After her husband's assassination, Jackie Kennedy's (Natalie Portman) world is completely shattered. Traumatized and reeling with grief, over the course of the next week she must confront the ...more
- In the 1970s, down-and-out jazz trumpeter Miles Davis (Don Cheadle) tries to recover his new session tape from music producers.
- Nat Turner is an enslaved Baptist preacher who lives on a Virginia plantation owned by Samuel Turner. With rumors of insurrection in the air, a cleric convinces Samuel that Nate should sermonize to ...more
- In the wilds of the Pacific Northwest, two sisters must fight for survival after an apocalyptic blackout leaves them without gas, water, electricity or cellphones.
- Café Society is a 2016 American romantic comedy-drama film written and directed by Woody Allen. The plot follows a young man (Jesse Eisenberg) who moves to 1930s Los Angeles to work for his uncle ...more
Don't Think Twice
- In the 1940s, New York socialite Florence Foster Jenkins (Meryl Streep) dreams of becoming a great opera singer. Unfortunately, her ambition far exceeds her talent. The voice Florence hears in her ...more
- When David Hockney's beautiful lover, Peter Schlesinger, breaks up with him, it leaves David a complete emotional wreck. An artist, he suddenly finds himself unable to create anything, and is awash ...more