With increasing concerns about representation in Hollywood, 2018 seems to be the year for movies directed by women. It's a great time to be a female director, as many people are craving a change from the status quo. The desire for a diversity of voices means more and more movie-goers want to see films made by women and other traditionally underrepresented groups. This list of 2018 films directed by women includes the most stunning examples of filmmaking by women.
Some good 2018 films directed by women include Blockers, A Wrinkle in Time, and The Rider.
There are many 2018 movies with female directors, many of them made by the best female directors working today. However, which movie is truly the best of the best? Vote below to decide! Do you feel any female directed movies of 2018 are missing? Feel free to add them.
Want more movies directed by women? Here is a list of 2020 female directed films.
- Leave No Trace is a 2018 American film directed by Debra Granik, based on the book My Abandonment by Peter Rock. A father (Ben Foster) and his 13 year-old daughter (Thomasin McKenzie) are living in a ...more
- Can You Ever Forgive Me? is a 2018 biographical comedy-drama film directed by Marielle Heller, based on the memoir by Lee Israel. When bestselling celebrity biographer, Lee Israel (Melissa McCarthy), ...more
- The Kindergarten Teacher is a 2018 American drama film directed by Sara Colangelo, based on the 2014 Israeli film. A kindergarten teacher (Maggie Gyllenhaal) in New York becomes obsessed with one of ...more
- You Were Never Really Here is a 2017 thriller film directed by Lynne Ramsay, based on the novella by Jonathan Ames. A traumatized veteran (Joaquin Phoenix) who tracks down missing girls for a living ...more
- The Miseducation of Cameron Post is a 2018 American-British drama film directed by Desiree Akhavan, based on the 2012 novel by Emily M. Danforth. In 1993, a teenage girl (Chloe Grace Moretz) is ...more
- Mary Queen of Scots is a 2018 British-American historical drama film directed by Josie Rourke, based on John Guy's biography My Heart Is My Own: The Life of Mary Queen of Scots. After failing to ...more
- A teenage girl's love letters are exposed and wreak havoc on her life.
- Night Comes On is a 2018 drama film directed by Jordana Spiro. Released from juvenile detention on the eve of her 18th birthday, Angel LaMere (Dominique Fishback) embarks on a journey with her 10 ...more
- The Long Dumb Road is a 2018 American road trip comedy film directed by Hannah Fidell. After Nathan (Tony Revolori) and Richard (Jason Mantzoukas) serendipitously meet at a time when they both find ...more
- Madeline’s Madeline is a 2018 mystery-thriller film directed by Josephine Decker. A theater director's (Molly Parker) latest project takes on a life of its own when her young star (Helena ...more
- Revenge is a 2017 French revenge horror film directed by Coralie Fargeat. After being assaulted by three married men and left for dead, a young woman (Matilda Lutz) returns with revenge on her mind.
- After Everything is a 2018 American comedy drama film directed by Hannah Marks and Joey Power. A young couple's relationship develops quickly when one of them is diagnosed with a life-changing ...more
- RBG is a 2018 documentary film directed by Julie Cohen and Betsy West. At the age of 84, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has developed a breathtaking legal legacy while becoming an ...more
- The Rider is a 2017 American drama film directed by Chloé Zhao. After suffering a near fatal head injury, a young cowboy (Brady Jandreau) undertakes a search for new identity and what it means to be ...more
- Like Father is a 2018 American comedy film directed by Lauren Miller Rogen. A workaholic woman (Kristen Bell) who is left at the altar takes her honeymoon trip anyway with her overachieving father ...more
- First Match is a 2018 American drama film directed by Olivia Newman. A teenage girl (Elvire Emmanuel) signs up for an all-boys wrestling team at her high school, causing more trouble than she may be ...more
- Furlough is a 2018 comedy-drama film directed by Laurie Collyer. When an inmate (Melissa Leo) is granted one weekend out of prison to see her dying mother, a rookie correction officer (Tessa ...more
- Blockers is a 2018 American comedy film directed by Kay Cannon. When three parents stumble upon their daughters pact to lose their virginity at prom, they launch a covert one-night operation to stop ...more
- Nappily Ever After is a 2018 American romantic comedy film directed by Haifaa al-Mansour, based on the novel by Trisha R. Thomas. Tired of waiting for her longtime boyfriend (Ricky Whittle) to ...more
- All About Nina is a 2018 comedy film directed by Eva Vives. To escape a difficult ex (Chace Crawford) and to prepare for a prospectively life-changing audition, provocative stand-up comedian Nina ...more
- Never Goin' Back is a 2018 American drama film directed by Augustine Frizzell. High school dropouts Angela (Maia Mitchell) and Jessie (Camila Morrone) dream of escaping their waitressing jobs at a ...more
- The Party is a 2017 British black comedy film directed by Sally Potter. Janet (Kristin Scott Thomas) hosts a party to celebrate her new promotion, but once the guests arrive it becomes clear that not ...more
- Stella's Last Weekend is a 2018 American comedy film directed by Polly Draper. Two brothers find their relationship challenged when they find they are in love with the same girl, but it is also about ...more
- Kings is a 2017 romance film directed by Deniz Gamze Ergüven. A South Central recluse (Daniel Craig) helps a woman's working-class mother (Halle Berry) during the 1992 civil unrest in Los Angeles.
- The Spy Who Dumped Me is a 2018 American action comedy film directed by Susanna Fogel. Best friends Audrey (Mila Kunis) and Morgan (Kate McKinnon) get involved in an undercover mission after Audreys ...more