The Best Female Singers Of The 1970s
Joni Mitchell, Diana Ross, Barbra Streisand, Cher, Carly Simon… All of these women defined the 1970s pop culture music scene through their unparalleled talent and empowering hit songs. Trailblazing country royalty Dolly Parton and Loretta Lynn transformed the country music industry with numerous heartfelt acoustic albums, especially their unforgettable ballads “Jolene” and “Coal Miner's Daughter.” The ‘Queen of Disco’ Donna Summer redefined pop music by paving the way for modern electronica and dance, ultimately serving as the voice of '70s club music. Rock and Roll Hall of Famers Joan Jett and Debbie Harry proved that female-fronted rock bands could dominate the Billboard charts; and civil rights advocates Aretha Franklin and Joan Baez fearlessly fought injustice through their profound gospel and folk protest anthems.
Which of these influential vocalists were the best female artists of the 1970s, and who deserves GOAT status at the top of this list? Vote below for your favorite 1970s female singers across the decade, and feel free to check out their discography lists afterwards if you'd like to discover more of their best albums.
- Ann Dustin Wilson (born June 19, 1950) is an American musician, best known as the lead singer and songwriter for the rock band Heart. Wilson was listed as one of the "Top Heavy Metal Vocalists of All ...more
- Linda Maria Ronstadt (born July 15, 1946) is a retired American popular music singer known for singing in a wide range of genres including rock, country, light opera, and Latin. She has earned 10 ...more
- Stephanie Lynn Nicks (born May 26, 1948) is an American singer and songwriter. Nicks is best known for her work as a songwriter and vocalist with Fleetwood Mac, and also for her chart-topping solo ...more
- Olivia Newton-John, (September 26, 1948-August 8, 2022) is an English-Australian singer, songwriter, actress, entrepreneur, dancer, and activist. She is a four-time Grammy award winner who has ...more
- Carly Elisabeth Simon (born June 25, 1945) is an American singer-songwriter, musician, and children's author. She first rose to fame in the 1970s with a string of hit records; her 13 Top 40 U.S. hits ...more
- Roberta Cleopatra Flack (born February 10, 1937) is an American singer. She is known for her #1 singles "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face", "Killing Me Softly with His Song," "Feel Like Makin' ...more