The Best Male Artists Of The 1970s
The 1970s were known for their free-spirited controversial music across diverse genres, with vinyl, disco, political unrest, hippie apparel, and unapologetic liberation defining pop culture among baby boomers. Although Donna Summer remains the ‘Queen of Disco,’ many of the '70s Billboard charts were led by the industry's top male vocalists and solo artists, including internationally-renowned rockstars Elton John, David Bowie, Marvin Gaye, Bob Dylan, Carlos Santana, Michael Jackson, Prince, and of course former Beatles members Paul McCartney and John Lennon. Grammy Award-winning trailblazers Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles shattered countless glass ceilings with their unparalleled talent and artistry, proving to the world that blind men can still play piano and sell millions of records worldwide; and Roll and Roll Hall of Famers Freddie Mercury and Meat Loaf transformed classic rock culture with their dramatic performances and exceptional tenor ballads.
Which of these influential vocalists were the best male artists of the 1970s, and who deserves GOAT status at the top of this list? Vote below for your favorite 1970s male singers across the decade, and feel free to check out their discography lists afterwards if you'd like to discover more of their best albums.
- David Robert Jones (8 January 1947 – 10 January 2016), known professionally as David Bowie, was an English singer-songwriter and actor. He was a leading figure in the music industry and is considered ...more
- Sir Elton Hercules John (born 25 March 1947) is an English singer, songwriter, pianist, and composer. He has worked with lyricist Bernie Taupin since 1967; they have collaborated on more than 30 ...more
- Freddie Mercury (born Farrokh Bulsara; 5 September 1946 – 24 November 1991) was a British singer, songwriter, record producer, and lead vocalist of the rock band Queen. Regarded as one of the ...more
- Sir James Paul McCartney (born 18 June 1942) is an English singer, songwriter, musician, composer, and record and film producer who gained worldwide fame as bass player for the Beatles. His ...more
- George Harrison (25 February 1943 – 29 November 2001) was an English musician, singer-songwriter, and music and film producer who achieved international fame as the lead guitarist of the Beatles. ...more
- Sir Roderick David Stewart, (born 10 January 1945) is a British rock singer and songwriter. Born and raised in London, he is of Scottish and English ancestry. Stewart is one of the best-selling ...more