The Best 70s Rock Bands
We're ranking the greatest '70s rock bands of all time throughout one of the world's most prolific decades of music. Despite the fact that the Beatles disbanded by 1970, the defining era of classic rock still spawned numerous Rock and Roll Hall of Famers and Grammy Award-winning supergroups across arena rock, new wave, glam metal, thrash metal, soft rock, shred guitar, and punk music. From powerhouse hard rockers Black Sabbath and AC/DC to trailblazing legends Queen and Aerosmith, these 70's bands paved the way for future rockstars while simultaneously defining this quintessential era of music. Fleetwood Mac set the precedent for Americana rock, fusing bohemian instrumentals with unique syncopated choruses and poetic lyricism; and female-led supergroup Heart dominated the charts with their unparalleled mezzo vocals and catchy songwriting. English rock bands Led Zeppelin and the Who captured the essence of an entire generation with their bold, unapologetic musicianship and authentic relatability, and Lynyrd Skynyrd brought Southern hard rock into the mainstream media.
Which of these rock groups deserve recognition as the greatest bands of the 1970s? Whose legacy should remain at the top? Vote below for your favorite 1970s rock bands, and feel free to check out these musicians' discography pages afterwards if you'd like to discover more of their greatest records.
- Led Zeppelin were an English rock band formed in London in 1968. The group consisted of vocalist Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page, bassist/keyboardist John Paul Jones and drummer John Bonham. ...more
- Pink Floyd were an English rock band formed in London in 1965. They emerged from London's underground music scene during the late 1960s, and became one of the most commercially successful and ...more
- Queen are a British rock band formed in London in 1970. Their classic line-up was Freddie Mercury (lead vocals and piano), Brian May (lead guitar and vocals), Roger Taylor (drums and vocals) and John ...more
- Fleetwood Mac are a British-American rock band formed in July 1967, in London. The band have sold more than 100 million records worldwide, making them one of the best-selling bands of all time. In ...more
- The Rolling Stones are an English rock band formed in London in 1962. The first settled line-up consisted of Brian Jones, Ian Stewart, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Bill Wyman, and Charlie Watts. ...more
- The Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) are an English rock band formed in Birmingham in 1970 by songwriters/multi-instrumentalists Jeff Lynne and Roy Wood with drummer Bev Bevan. Their music is ...more