What are the best ‘70s romantic comedies? Fans have ranked their favorites below from best to worst. Some prove the old adage that opposites attract while others feature complicated love triangles. If many of the movies below sound recent, it could be because some of the greatest '70s romantic comedies have led to sequels and remakes.
Which of the '70s romantic comedies on the list below do you think is best? Does the musical Grease top your list? Comedy, drama, romance, and songs come together to make that 1978 film starring Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta a romantic comedy favorite of the 1970s and beyond. Or do you prefer how Woody Allen revolutionized the romantic comedy with his intellectual, introspective 1977 movie Annie Hall, as well as his other '70s romantic comedies – Manhattan and Play It Again, Sam?
Quirky and full of fun, Harold and Maude became a cult classic with film buffs after it was released in 1971. Other good movies featured on this top '70s romantic comedies list include Heaven Can Wait, The Goodbye Girl, and 10.Which classic romcom deserves the top spot on this list? Chime in and vote up the best ‘70s romantic comedies.
- Former Broadway hoofer Paula McFadden (Marsha Mason) and her young daughter, Lucy (Quinn Cummings), are outraged to find that Paula's former lover has fled to Europe and subleased their apartment to ...more
- Experience the friendships, romances and adventures of a group of high school kids in the 1950s. Welcome to the singing and dancing world of "Grease," the most successful movie musical of all time. A ...more
- Two researchers have come to San Francisco to compete for a research grant in music. The man seems a bit distracted, and that was before he met a strange woman who has devoted her life to confusing ...more
- Cult classic pairs Cort as a dead-pan disillusioned 20-year-old obsessed with suicide and a loveable Gordon as a fun-loving 80-year-old eccentric. They meet at a funeral, and develop a taboo romantic ...more
- Comedian Alvy Singer (Woody Allen) examines the rise and fall of his relationship with struggling nightclub singer Annie Hall (Diane Keaton). Speaking directly to the audience in front of a bare ...more
- In early 1970s San Francisco, blind aspiring singer-songwriter Don Baker (Edward Albert) is living away from his overprotective mother (Eileen Heckart) for the first time. Free-spirited actress Jill ...more
- Intellectually precocious teenager Lauren King (Diane Lane) lives in Paris with her somewhat ditzy mother (Sally Kellerman). On a movie set, she strikes up a friendship with teenage film buff Daniel ...more
- When the government of Transylvania appropriates his castle, Count Dracula (George Hamilton) is obliged to relocate and decides to give New York City a try. He suffers all manner of adjustment ...more
- Director Woody Allen's love letter to New York City stars Allen as frustrated television writer Isaac Davis, a twice-divorced malcontent facing middle age alone after his wife, Jill (Meryl Streep), ...more
- Joe Pendleton (Warren Beatty), quarterback for the Los Angeles Rams, is killed in an auto accident. In the afterlife, Joe discovers that his guardian angel (Buck Henry) has taken him from his body ...more
- 10 is a 1979 romantic comedy film directed, produced and written by Blake Edwards, and starring Dudley Moore, Julie Andrews, Robert Webber, Dee Wallace, and Bo Derek, in her first major film ...more
- Soon after Lenny (Charles Grodin) marries Lila (Jeannie Berlin), the needy and unrefined side of her personality begins to emerge, and he becomes increasingly uncertain about his decision to marry ...more
- Against the backdrop of Nixon's election to office, Beverly Hills hairdresser and notorious rake George Roundy (Warren Beatty) runs into trouble when his lascivious habits begin to clash with his ...more
- Fresh out of college, Larry Lapinsky (Lenny Baker) leaves Brooklyn and moves to Greenwich Village. Larry comes from a traditional Jewish home, and though his mother, Faye (Shelley Winters), wants him ...more
- Based on the play by Samuel Taylor, this comedy finds Wendell Armbruster Jr. (Jack Lemmon) journeying to the Italian island of Ischia to claim the body of his millionaire father, who died while on ...more
- In this musical, Daisy Gamble (Barbra Streisand) decides she'll give hypnosis a try to help her stop smoking, at the request of her fiancé. While hypnotized, she discloses to her psychiatrist, Marc ...more
- Overanxious film critic Allan (Woody Allen) sinks into a depression after his wife leaves him. Concerned, his married friends Dick (Tony Roberts) and Linda (Diane Keaton) encourage him to meet new ...more
- An aging actress and socialite, Jessica Medlicott (Katharine Hepburn) has ended her engagement with a younger man and is now being sued by her former fiancé. Esteemed barrister Sir Arthur ...more
- A psychiatrist (Julie Andrews) recalls the fate of her late patient, a sculptor (Burt Reynolds) infatuated with women.
- Solange (Carole Laure) is seriously depressed, and her kindhearted husband, Raoul (Gérard Depardieu), makes it his mission to cure her doldrums. After many failed attempts to cheer her up, Raoul hits ...more
- Terry (Linda Blair), a classical musician, meets fast-talking roller skater Bobby James (Jim Bray) at Venice Beach, Calif. After initially ignoring Bobby, Terry warms to him when he saves her from a ...more
- Ne'er-do-well Charlie "Dirtwater Fox" Malloy (George Segal) helps outlaws steal a cool $40,000, then runs off with all the money. However, he doesn't count on Duchess (Goldie Hawn), a burlesque ...more
- You Light Up My Life is a 1977 romantic comedy-drama film written and directed by Joseph Brooks. The picture stars Didi Conn, Stephen Nathan and Michael Zaslow, and follows a girl named Laurie, who ...more
- Having thus far failed at love, middle-aged Alex Theodopoulos (Paul Dooley) begins a romance with a spirited young bohemian named Sheila Shea (Marta Heflin), a musician with rock band looking to ...more
- In working-class Dublin, the factories provide a meager income -- though not for Quackser Fortune (Gene Wilder), whose chosen career is collecting horse manure and selling it as fertilizer. But the ...more