What were the best sitcoms from the 1970s? Perhaps "Mary Tyler Moore" or “Sanford and Sons”? This list of the greatest '70s television sitcoms has all the funniest shows from the decade.
Top hits from every genre, including comedy, drama, romance and thrillers were released during the 70's, but these popular sitcoms were some of the most entertaining shows on television at the time. The war drama/comedy “M.A.S.H.” regularly took the top spot in the television ratings, but hits like “All in the Family” and “Happy Days” were close behind. The top television sitcoms of the 70s closely followed the culture around it: the innocence of the 50s and 60s was reflected in old shows like “The Brady Bunch” and “Three’s Company”, yet the face of an ever-changing American could be seen in shows like “M.A.S.H.”
Hits where family was the main subject were subtly being replaced with comedies like “Hee Haw” and “The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour.” Whether it was “Charlie’s Angels” that you remember the most, or the quirky “Mork and Mindy,” cast your vote for the best 70s sitcoms of all time below!
- 1Happy Days is an American television sitcom that aired first-run from January 15, 1974, to... moreRon Howard, Henry Winkler
- 2All in the Family is an American sitcom that was originally broadcast on the CBS television... moreCarroll O'Connor, Jean Stapleton
- 3M*A*S*H is an American television series developed by Larry Gelbart, adapted from the 1970... moreAlan Alda, Wayne Rogers
- 4Sanford and Son is an American sitcom, based on the BBC's Steptoe and Son, that ran on the NBC... moreRedd Foxx, Demond Wilson
- 5Bewitched is an American TV situation comedy fantasy which was broadcast for eight seasons on... moreElizabeth Montgomery, Dick York
- 6The Jeffersons is an American sitcom that was broadcast on CBS from January 18, 1975, through... moreIsabel Sanford, Sherman Hemsley
- 7Taxi is an American sitcom that originally aired from 1978 to 1982 on ABC and from 1982 to... moreJudd Hirsch, Jeff Conaway
- 8Gilligan's Island is an American sitcom created and produced by Sherwood Schwartz via United... moreBob Denver, Alan Hale Jr.
- 9Laverne & Shirley is an American television sitcom that ran on ABC from January 27, 1976 to... morePenny Marshall, Cindy Williams
- 10The Brady Bunch is an American sitcom created by Sherwood Schwartz that originally aired from... moreRobert Reed, Florence Henderson
- 11WKRP in Cincinnati is an American situation comedy television series that features the... moreGary Sandy, Gordon Jump
- 12The Mary Tyler Moore Show is an American television sitcom created by James L. Brooks and... moreMary Tyler Moore, Edward Asner
- 13I Dream of Jeannie is an American sitcom with a fantastical premise. The show starred Barbara... moreBarbara Eden, Larry Hagman
- 14Welcome Back, Kotter (ABC, 1975) is an American television sitcom. Gabe Kotter (Gabe Kaplan)... moreGabe Kaplan, Ron Palillo
- 15The Bob Newhart Show is an American situation comedy produced by MTM Enterprises, which aired... moreBob Newhart, Suzanne Pleshette
- 16The Odd Couple, formally titled onscreen Neil Simon's The Odd Couple, is an American... moreJack Klugman, Tony Randall
- 17Three's Company is an American sitcom that aired from March 15, 1977 to September 18, 1984 on... moreJohn Ritter, Joyce DeWitt
- 18Barney Miller is an American situation comedy television series set in a New York City Police... moreHal Linden, Abe Vigoda
- 19The Rockford Files is an American television drama series starring James Garner that aired on... moreJames Garner, Noah Beery Jr.
- 20Mork & Mindy is an American sitcom broadcast from 1978 to 1982 on ABC. It stars Robin Williams... moreRobin Williams, Pam Dawber
- 21Get Smart is an American comedy television series that satirizes the secret agent genre.... moreDon Adams, Barbara Feldon
- 22Good Times is an American sitcom that originally aired from February 8, 1974, until August 1,... moreBernNadette Stanis, Ralph Carter
- 23The Love Boat is an American television series set on a cruise ship, which aired on the ABC... moreGavin MacLeod, Bernie Kopell
- 24Hogan's Heroes is an American television sitcom set in a German prisoner during WWII. It ran... moreBob Crane, Werner Klemperer
- 25The Facts of Life is an American sitcom that originally ran on the NBC television network from... moreLisa Whelchel, Kim Fields