When you think of the best '80s Black comedy movies, you probably think of Eddie Murphy. He starred in many of the top 1980s Black comedy films, but this list will decide if his blockbusters stand the test of time as the greatest Black comedies released in the '80s. Murphy's movies ranged from action-comedies to classic fish out of water stories, but he still left room for some slapstick movies from comedic titan Richard Pryor. With your votes, this '80s Black comedy movies list will settle once and for all just which actor ruled the decade.
What's an example of a good 1980s Black comedy movie? How about Coming to America? Murphy and Arsenio Hall both played multiple roles in this classic that stands as not only one of the best '80s African American comedy films, but one of the best Black comedies of all time.
As for Richard Pryor, he teamed-up with Gene Wilder for the 1980 two-hander Stir Crazy and also with The Honeymooners funnyman Jackie Gleason for the 1982 comedy The Toy.
Which film do you think is the funniest? Vote up your favorites, vote down the films that haven't stood the test of time, and if we missed any films, add them to this list of '80s Black comedy movies!
- Brewster's Millions is a 1985 comedy film starring Richard Pryor and John Candy based on the 1902 novel of the same name by George Barr McCutcheon. It is the seventh film based on the story, with a ...more
- Prince Akeem (Eddie Murphy) is the prince of a wealthy African country and wants for nothing, except a wife who will love him in spite of his title. To escape an arranged marriage, Akeem flees to ...more
- Unemployed journalist Jack Brown (Richard Pryor) is attempting to make ends meet as the night janitor in a ritzy department store owned by Louisiana millionaire U.S. Bates (Jackie Gleason). On his ...more
- After his childhood buddy is murdered while visiting Detroit, rebellious cop Axel Foley (Eddie Murphy) follows the leads to Beverly Hills, Calif., under the auspices of a vacation. He checks in with ...more
- Watch for Free with Amazon Prime Free TrialRenegade cop Jack Cates (Nick Nolte) pulls bank robber Reggie Hammond (Eddie Murphy) from a federal prison on a 48-hour leave to help him capture Hammond's old partner, Albert Ganz (James Remar). ...more
- After a Tibetan boy, the mystical Golden Child (J.L. Reate), is kidnapped by the evil Sardo Numspa (Charles Dance), humankind's fate hangs in the balance. On the other side of the world in Los ...more
- The hard-nosed Detroit cop from the original film returns to Los Angeles to help solve another case. This time he must direct his efforts towards unraveling the Alphabet Crimes, a series of robberies ...more
- Upper-crust executive Louis Winthorpe III (Dan Aykroyd) and down-and-out hustler Billy Ray Valentine (Eddie Murphy) are the subjects of a bet by successful brokers Mortimer (Don Ameche) and Randolph ...more
- With a jailbreak offering them their only way out, a despondent duo rack their brains to figure out a foolproof plan. Fortuitously, one of them discovers an unexpected talent as a rodeo rider, and an ...more
- In the waning days of Prohibition, Sugar Ray (Richard Pryor) and his adopted son, Quick (Eddie Murphy), run a speakeasy called Club Sugar Ray. When gangster Bugsy Calhoune (Michael Lerner) learns ...more
- At historically black Mission College, the activist-minded Dap (Larry Fishburne) immerses himself in a world of political rhetoric and social movements -- one day he hopes to rally the students as a ...more
- Jack Spade (Keenen Ivory Wayans) comes home to the ghetto and finds his brother dead from a gold chain overdose. With the help of his hero, John Slade (Bernie Casey), and a team of washed-up crime ...more
- Wally Karue (Richard Pryor) is a blind man looking for a job. Dave Lyons (Gene Wilder) is a deaf man who runs a newsstand. When Dave hires Wally, he never imagines they'll have to work together to ...more
- Homer and Eddie is a 1989 American film starring Whoopi Goldberg and Jim Belushi and directed by Andrei Konchalovsky.
- After civil engineer Arlo Pear (Richard Pryor) loses his job following a corporate merger, he must sell his house and move with his wife, Monica (Beverly Todd), and daughter, Casey (Stacey Dash), ...more
- Beautiful Nola Darling (Tracy Camilla Johns) can't decide what kind of man she wants to date, so she decides to date three at the same time. The first is Greer Childs (John Canada Terrell), a rich, ...more
- Leroy Green (Taimak), a young martial artist living in New York City, trains tirelessly to attain the same level of mastery as the great Bruce Lee. One night, his life changes forever when he rescues ...more
- Aspiring actor and hot-dog stand employee Bobby Taylor (Robert Townsend) catches the ire of his grandmother (Helen Martin) for auditioning for a role in the regrettably titled exploitation film ...more
- Terry Doolittle (Whoopi Goldberg) works with computers in a bank office. She routinely talks with others via her computer, but one day she connects with a mysterious user by the name of Jumpin' Jack ...more
- Salvatore "Sal" Fragione (Danny Aiello) is the Italian owner of a pizzeria in Brooklyn. A neighborhood local, Buggin' Out (Giancarlo Esposito), becomes upset when he sees that the pizzeria's Wall of ...more
- After faking insanity to avoid jail, a con man (Richard Pryor) poses as a hospital doctor in the chaos of a power failure.
- Doin' Time is a 1985 American comedy film directed by George Mendeluk. Inmates scheme to remove their warden from his position after his new reforms take the fun out of their jailed lives.
- Parole officer Donald (Robert Christian) compels his foul-mouthed ex-con charge Joe Braxton (Richard Pryor) to escort a bus full of special education students from Philadelphia to the Pacific ...more
- Bookstore owner and burglar Bernie (Whoopi Goldberg) is being blackmailed by corrupt cop Ray (G.W. Bailey), forcing her into her most ambitious job yet: a jewelry store heist she's woefully under ...more
- An engineer (Dudley Moore) fails to get the bugs out of a tank before an Army officer (Eddie Murphy) has to use it in Kuwait.