Country music is one of the most popular genres of music and has been for decades. The '80s in particular was a great time for country music and many hits came from that era. Classic country songs such as Amarillo by Morning and 9 to 5 are from the 1980s and have paved the way for '90s country music. Country songs are steeped in Americana and tell the story of ordinary, hard working, hard drinking, and long suffering people just like many of us.
1980s country music is steeped in the history of the 1960's and the 1970's country scene as many top country artists of the time enjoyed enormous popularity through multiple decades. Dolly Parton for instance started out in the mid-1960s and remains popular to this day. In fact, her 1987 country album Trio marked a return to fame after spending 5 weeks at the top of Billboard's Country Albums chart.
Aside from Dolly, this list of '80s country hits also features songs from top classic country artists such as Kenny Rogers, Randy Travis, The Judds, and Willie Nelson. So if you're a fan of country music, vote up what you think are the best '80s country songs, or add a song if it isn't already on the list!
- 6Willie Nelson's 1982 version became on the most successful versions of this popular song.
- 9This song is always holding country song but was originally a hit for Greenwood in 1984
Released in August of 1989, If Tomorrow Never Comes became Garth Brooks' first #1 hit and spent 26 weeks on the Billboard Hot Country Chart
- 16This 1980 song by Waylon Jennings was the theme song for Dukes of Hazzard
Recorded in 1987 and released in early 1988, Don't Close Your Eyes became the first #1 hit from Keith Whitley and the first of five straight #1 hits
Alabama's Dixieland Delight, released in 1983, became the super group's 9th straight #1 hit
- 22This 1980 hit from the Urban Cowboy soundtrack was a #1 hit.
- 23This 198 WIllie Nelson tune is #471 on Rolling Stone's top 500 songs of all time.