Lock the door, grab a friend, and turn on all the lights as we rank the best 80s horror villains. The 1980s saw a surge of horror movies thanks to the success of campy mid-to-late ‘70s fright fests like Halloween and Carrie.
The best ‘80s horror villains are the ones who leave a lasting impression, whether through their look, their dialogue, or their macabre backstory. It’s their truly terrifying nature that made audiences want to see more of them. In fact, some of these 1980s villains proved so popular (and lucrative) that they found their way into the ‘90s, ‘00s, and even today through sequels, reboots, remakes, and even re-imaginings!
The fact that movie studios keep feeding us these characters almost 40 years later (and the fact that we keep wanting more) proves the indelible impact these list of 80s horror villains have had. Seriously, how boring would some of our Halloween parties be if we didn’t have this ‘80s horror icons to dress up as?
Vote up your favorite from this list of the best horror villains of the 80s, and if your favorite fiend is missing, go ahead and add them to the list!
- Photo: A Nightmare on Elm Street / New Line Cinema
"I'm your boyfriend now, Nancy."
Weapon of choice: Bladed work glove
12123Were they a great '80s villain?
- Appears In: A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985), A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987), A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988), A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989)
- Played By: Robert Englund
- Photo: user uploaded image
9918Were they a great '80s villain?
- Appears In: Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981), Friday the 13th Part III (1982), Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984), Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985), Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)
- Played By: Warrington Gillette, Derek Mears, Ken Kirzinger, Ari Lehman, Kane Hodder
"Your suffering will be legendary, even in hell!"
Weapon of choice: Mental control, power to summon hooks and chains
10422Were they a great '80s villain?
- Appears In: Hellraiser (1987), Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988)
- Played By: Doug Bradley
- Photo: Halloween / Compass International Pictures
9819Were they a great '80s villain?
- Appears In: Halloween II (1981), Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982), Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988), Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)
- Played By: Chase Wright Vanek, George P. Wilbur, Tyler Mane, Don Shanks, Brad Loree