It's hard to argue that the 1980s wasn't the pinnacle of the slasher genre. This list of the best 1980s slasher movies features several of the most famous films in the genre; (sometimes, cheesy) horror films that frightened a generation and spawned sequels which continue to frighten people everywhere to this very day. But which one of these classic '80s slashers is the best? You get to help decide with your votes.
A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th and Prom Night all began in the ‘80s, and each has spawned sequel after sequel. Also on this list of the best slasher movies from the '80s are My Bloody Valentine, April Fool’s Day, Happy Birthday to Me and Silent Night, Deadly Night. Hmmm… holidays may not be as safe as we think.
So, which of the movies on this list of good 80s slasher films sent a chill up your spine? Vote up the top bloody 80s slasher movies that stay with you long after the credits roll.
- In Wes Craven's classic slasher film, several Midwestern teenagers fall prey to Freddy Krueger (Robert Englund), a disfigured midnight mangler who preys on the teenagers in their dreams -- which, in ...more
- Watch for Free with Amazon Prime Free TrialCrystal Lake's history of murder doesn't deter counselors from setting up a summer camp in the woodsy area. Superstitious locals warn against it, but the fresh-faced young people -- Jack (Kevin ...more
- After failing to kill stubborn survivor Laurie (Jamie Lee Curtis) and taking a bullet or six from former psychiatrist Dr. Sam Loomis (Donald Pleasence), Michael Myers (Dick Warlock) has followed ...more
- The second entry in the long-running horror series focuses on a group of teenage would-be counselors converging on Camp Crystal Lake for training under the tutelage of head counselor Paul (John ...more
- A carefree lakeside vacation is interrupted by the re-emergence of killer Jason Voorhees (Ted White). After he escapes from a morgue, leaving bodies in his wake, Jason travels to Camp Crystal Lake ...more
- Friends defy the rules of a legendary murderer and discover he is real when they start celebrating Valentine's Day.
- The third installment in the "Friday the 13th" series picks up on the day after the carnage with homicidal maniac Jason Voorhees (Richard Brooker) stealing some clothes and killing a local store ...more
- Sleepaway Camp is a 1983 exploitation slasher film written and directed by Robert Hiltzik who also served as executive producer. The film came at a time when slasher films were in their heyday, and ...more
- Gunned down by Detective Mike Norris (Chris Sarandon), dying murderer Charles Lee Ray (Brad Dourif) uses black magic to put his soul inside a doll named Chucky -- which Karen Barclay (Catherine ...more
- At summer camp, some teenagers pull a prank on the camp's caretaker, Cropsy (Lou David). But the joke goes terribly wrong, and the teens leave Cropsy for dead after setting him on fire. But no one ...more
- Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives is a 1986 slasher film, the sixth film in the Friday the 13th film series. The film was written and directed by Tom McLoughlin. Although the original concept ...more
- The Prowler is a 1981 horror film directed by Joseph Zito, and written by Neal Barbera and Glenn Leopold.
- The apparently comatose Michael Myers (George P. Wilbur) is being transferred from one hospital to another, but he wakes up when the ambulance crew talk about his surviving niece, Jamie (Danielle ...more
- The Slumber Party Massacre is a 1982 American slasher film directed by Amy Holden Jones and written by Rita Mae Brown. In the film, an 18-year old is left alone by her parents and plans on ...more
- This slasher movie follows a relentless killer who is out to avenge the death of a young girl who died after being bullied and teased by four of her classmates. Now high-school students, the ...more
- When a group of college students decides to spend spring break at the secluded island estate of their wealthy classmate, Muffy St. John (Deborah Foreman), what starts out as a fun, hedonistic weekend ...more
- Silent Night, Deadly Night is a 1984 American slasher film produced by Ira R Barmak, written by Michael Hickey, directed by Charles E. Sellier, Jr. and starring Robert Brian Wilson, Lilyan Chauvin, ...more
- Happy Birthday to Me is a 1981 American-Canadian slasher film directed by J. Lee Thompson and starring Melissa Sue Anderson and Glenn Ford. It was released on 15 May 1981, and has since become ...more
- Seven sorority sisters drown their housemother (Lois Kelso Hunt), then meet the son she hid for 20 years.
- Rebellious teen Amy (Elizabeth Berridge) defies her parents by going to a trashy carnival that has pulled into town. In tow are her boyfriend, Buzz (Cooper Huckabee), and their friends Liz (Largo ...more
- Intruder is a 1989 horror film written and directed by Scott Spiegel, and co-written by Lawrence Bender.
- During a hazing, a fraternity of pre-med students has a particularly sinister prank in store for one their more timid pledges (Derek MacKinnon). With the help of a coed, Alana Maxwell (Jamie Lee ...more
- Two decades after the original murders at the Bates Motel, Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins) completes his treatment at a mental institution and returns home to find his hotel run down under the ...more
- Watch for Free with Amazon Prime Free TrialFriday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood is the seventh installment in the original Friday the 13th series, released in 1988. It is the start of the Kane Hodder era in Jason films in the role of Jason ...more
- Chainsaw-wielding maniac Leatherface (Bill Johnson) is up to his cannibalistic ways once again, along with the rest of his twisted clan, including the equally disturbed Chop-Top (Bill Moseley). This ...more