The Greatest Rock Bands of the 1990s
The 1990s may perhaps be one of the greatest eras of rock music ever. Who wasn't head-banging to Nirvana' and Pearl Jam's grunge records or Guns N' Roses' trailblazing hit singles on their cassette tapes and Sony Walkmans?! 90's rock n’ roll redefined the legendary genre worldwide, especially throughout American and British pop culture. From the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees U2 and Metallica to heavy metal supergroups Mötley Crüe and Black Sabbath, the '90s rockstar roster features so much insane talent that undeniably inspired future generations of rock musicians.
Which of these artists do you believe are the greatest 90s rock bands of all time, and who deserves GOAT status at the top of this list? Vote below for your favorite 1990s rock groups across the decade, and feel free to check out their discography lists afterwords if you'd like to discover more of their best albums.
- Nirvana were an American rock band formed in Aberdeen, Washington, in 1987. Founded by lead singer and guitarist Kurt Cobain and bassist Krist Novoselic, the band went through a succession of ...more
- Alice in Chains are an American rock band from Seattle, Washington, formed in 1987 by guitarist and vocalist Jerry Cantrell and drummer Sean Kinney, who later recruited bassist Mike Starr and lead ...more
- Soundgarden were an American rock band formed in Seattle, Washington, in 1984 by singer and drummer Chris Cornell, lead guitarist Kim Thayil (both of whom are the only members to appear in every ...more
- Pearl Jam are an American rock band formed in Seattle, Washington, in 1990. The band's lineup consists of founding members Jeff Ament (bass guitar), Stone Gossard (rhythm guitar), Mike McCready (lead ...more
- Red Hot Chili Peppers are an American rock band formed in Los Angeles in 1983. The group's musical style primarily consists of rock with an emphasis on funk, as well as elements from other genres ...more
- The Smashing Pumpkins are an American alternative rock band from Chicago, Illinois. Formed in 1988 by frontman Billy Corgan (lead vocals, guitar), D'arcy Wretzky (bass), James Iha (guitar), and Jimmy ...more