When we sit down with a movie, we're not always looking for the most intellectual fare around. Sometimes we just want to turn off our brains at the end of the day and watch stuff blow up. These action movies on Netflix should have enough explosions, car crashes, gunfights, tough guy quips, and all-around excitement to keep your adrenaline pumping, without taxing your higher faculties too much. They aren't always the best movies around, but they're good excuses to watch things go boom for an hour or two.
- 1238 VOTESPhoto: FilmDistrict
Olympus Has Fallen is essentially Die Hard set in the White House. A disgraced Secret Service agent (played by King Leonidas himself, Gerard Butler) must save the president (Aaron Eckhart) from terrorists who have taken over the White House and are holding the president hostage in a bunker beneath the building. The terrorists plan to destroy the United States' entire nuclear arsenal, and of course the only thing standing in their way is Gerard Butler.
- Who's blowing stuff up? Gerard Butler and a whole helicopter load of terrorists led by Rick Yune. Angela Bassett, Cole Hauser, Ashley Judd, and Morgan Freeman provide supporting roles as concerned people taking meetings and talking on phones to let us know this is all Very Serious.
- 2224 VOTESPhoto: NBC Universal
Sure, Wanted is about as subtle as a garbage truck full of imploding rats, but if you ever want to watch Angelina Jolie put English on a bullet, Morgan Freeman run an elite fraternity of assassins, and James McAvoy hit Chris Pratt in the face with a keyboard so hard a few keys break off and spell out a profanity before hitting the floor, Netflix has you covered. McAvoy plays a mild-mannered worker in a cubicle farm who learns his father was a world-class assassin in this over-the-top action flick based on a comic book from the writer of Kick-Ass.
- Who's blowing stuff up? Besides James McAvoy, Angelina Jolie, and Morgan Freeman, Wanted also features Thomas Kretschmann, Terence Stamp, Common, and a pre-Guardians of the Galaxy Chris Pratt.
- 324 VOTESPhoto: Bad Boys / Sony Pictures
Looking for a buddy cop movie featuring a heroin heist and the comedic stylings of Will Smith? Look no further- Bad Boys delivers peak '90s action while not being incredibly convoluted in it's storytelling, making it the perfect film to soak up for 119 minutes without much thinking.
Who's blowing stuff up? Will Smith, Tea Leoni, Martin Lawrence
- 421 VOTESPhoto: Inglorious Basterds / The Weinstein Company
Looking for a film that scratches your itch for big explosions and an alternative take on historic events? Inglorious Basterds has you covered and is incredibly satisfying from start to finish.
Who's blowing stuff up? Mélanie Laurent and Jacky Ido take the ticket for the highest body count, but Brad Pitt, Michael Fassbender, Eli Roth, and others have a serious hand in this alternative take on history.