This list contains information about the best actress performances, ranked by your votes. Over the years there has been so many great performances that won best actress awards for the women who portrayed classic characters. Some of these best actress Oscar performances were for roles based on real people while others were based on fictional characters.
What are some of the best actress performances? Annie Wilkes from Misery made our list. Kathy Bates won a Best Actress Academy Award for her portrayal of this number one fan. Misery was based on the 1987 Stephen King book of the same name. Vivien Leigh's iconic portrayal of Scarlett O'Hara in the film Gone with the Wind also made our list. Leigh took home the Best Actress Oscar in 1939.
Several Best Supporting Actress performances also made this list. Octavia Spencer's performance of Minny Jackson in the film The Help, based on Kathryn Stockett's novel of the same name, earned her an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in 2011. Other supporting actress roles that are featured on this list include Katherine Hepburn in The Aviator (Cate Blanchett) and Minnie Castevet (Ruth Gordon).Which best actress performance is your favorite? Be sure to vote on this list to make sure the right role ends up in the top spot, and also share your thoughts in the comments section.
- 719321Vivien Leigh - Best Actress (1939).
- 714325Charlize Theron - Best Actress (2003).
- 754349Jodie Foster - Best Actress (1991).
Sophie ZawistowskaSophie's ChoiceMeryl Streep - Best Actress (1982).
- 717339Kathy Bates - Best Actress (1990).
- 453239Julie Andrews-Best Actress (1964)
- 600279Frances McDormand - Best Actress (1996).
- 569336Natalie Portman - Best Actress (2010).
- 387225Helen Mirren - Best Actress (2006).
Hattie McDaniel-Best Supporting Actress (1939)
- 402257Cate Blanchett - Best Supporting Actress (2004).
- 393246Octavia Spencer - Best Supporting Actress (2011).
- 333210Marion Cotillard - Best Actress (2007).
- 362145Vivien Leigh-Best Actress (1951)
- 278188Patty Duke - Best Supporting Actress (1962).
Mildred HayesThree Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Frances McDormand - Best Actress (2017)
Norma RaeNorma RaeSally Field - Best Actress (1979).
- 336208Hilary Swank - Best Actress (1999).
Queen AnneThe Favourite
Olivia Colman - Best Actress (2018)