The best African films on Netflix run the gambit from goofy comedy to exciting thriller. Some of the best filmmakers out of Nollywood have their works represented on the streaming service. And some of these movies have made a splash before they ended up on Netflix. Chances are good you've heard of a little film called District 9 that was shot in South Africa and can now be watched online at any time.
There are numerous fantastic films that came out over the last decade you can finally watch. One of the most popular offerings on the platform is a comedy called It's Her Day, in which a man has to keep up with his fiance's increasingly insane requests in the lead-up to their wedding day. There are also films that deal with topical issues like Anchor Baby, which sees a Nigerian couple defying deportation orders so that they can have their child in the United States.
This list of African movies on Netflix shows how diverse the creative minds on the continent really are. What are your favorite African films on Netflix? Vote for the ones you'd recommend to anyone who wants to learn more about the culture.
- 1District 9 is a 2009 science fiction film directed by Neill Blomkamp, released August 13,... more on Wikipedia374
- 2The Burial Of Kojo is a 2018 international drama film directed by Sam Blitz Bazawule. A man is... more on Wikipedia
- 3Atlantics (a.k.a. Atlantique) is a 2019 internationally co-produced supernatural romantic... more on Wikipedia288
Shepherds and Butchers
Shepherds and Butchers is a 2016 South African drama film directed by Oliver Schmitz. A lawyer attempts to defend a prison guard who went on a shooting spree as apartheid in South Africa comes to an end.
- 5Merry Men 2: Another Mission is a 2019 Nigerian action comedy film directed by Moses Inwang.... more on Wikipedia
- 6Road To Yesterday is a 2015 Nigerian road romantic drama film directed by Ishaya Bako.2510
Road to Yesterday
It's Her Day
It's Her Day is a 2016 Nigerian comedy drama film directed by Aniedi Anwah. A groom does his best to give his bride-to-be a "blog" worthy wedding.
Sugar Rush is a 2019 Nigerian crime action comedy film directed by Kayode Kasum. The Sugar sisters come across 800,000 that ultimately ends up belonging to the mafia.
Cold Feet is a 2019 Nigerian drama film directed by Moses Inwang. A couple's trip to an exotic resort turns disastrous when one of them runs into an old flame that rekindles a romance and sends shock waves through their lives.
Elevator Baby is a 2019 Nigerian drama film directed by Akhigbe Ilozobhie. Fate brings a brash, wealthy young man and an unprivileged woman together as she goes into labor while being stuck in the elevator together.
The Letter Reader
The Letter Reader is a 2019 South African drama short film directed by Sibusiso Khuzwayo.
- 12Mirror Boy is a 2010 International adventure film written and directed by Obi Emelonye.142
Nimbe, also known as Nimbe: The Movie, is a 2019 Nigerian drama film directed by Tope Alake.
- 14Anchor Baby is a 2010 International drama thriller film directed and written by Lonzo Nzekwe.144
Chief Daddy is a 2018 Nigerian comedy film directed by Niyi Akinmolayan. Chief Daddy is the flamboyant benefactor to his large and eccentric extended family, that is until he dies and reveals some surprises in his will.
Kasanova is a 2019 Nigerian romantic comedy movie directed by Oluseyi Asurf. A single dad falls for the mother of his son's crush in a story that highlights family, friendship, and love.
Moms at War
Moms at War is a 2018 Nigerian comedy film directed by Omoni Oboli. Two rival mothers use their kids' school competition to prove they're number one.
Seven and a Half Dates
Seven And A Half Dates is a 2018 Nigerian romance movie directed by Biodun Stephen. A father sets up 10 dates for his eldest daughter to find love.
My Wife & I
My Wife & I is a 2017 Nigerian family comedy film directed by Bunmi Ajakaiye.
- 20Last Flight to Abuja is a 2012 action film written by Tunde Babalola and Obi Emelonye and... more on Wikipedia105
Last Flight to Abuja
4th Republic is a 2019 Nigerian thriller film directed by Ishaya Bako.
Fifty is a 2015 Nigerian romantic drama film directed by Biyi Bandele. Four women at the top of their careers must confront various obstacles such as estranged daughters, a life-threatening illness, an affair, and a family secrets.
The Delivery Boy
The Delivery Boy is a 2018 Nigerian thriller directed by Adekunle Adejuyigbe.
- 24Phone Swap is a 2014 Nigerian comedy film directed by Kunle Afolayan.108
- 25Being Mrs Elliot is a 2014 Nigerian romantic comedy film directed by Omoni Oboli.50
Being Mrs Elliot