Alan Menken is one of the most revered composers in musical theater. Hs name is closely associated with the film scores for some of Disney’s most timeless films, including The Little Mermaid and Aladdin, but he’s had incredible hits on Broadway as well. This list of the best Alan Menken musicals is impressive, to say the least.
Alan Menken musicals are unforgettable. His melodies are among the most recognized by fans of musical theater. Top Alan Menken musicals and plays include Beauty and the Beast, Little Shop of Horrors, and the theater adaptations of The Little Mermaid and Aladdin. But well before he ever hit the Great White Way, Menken was composing melodies on shows like Sesame Street!
Any Alan Menken musical or play list must include Newsies – who can see that show and not hum along? The same is true with another Menken musical, Sister Act. In addition to his Broadway hit shows, Alan Menken also composed for a couple of off-Broadway shows. They are included on this list. Vote them up if you’ve seen them, or heard his score, and agree.
Alan Menkin is so talented, he’s basically nominated for a Tony Award for every show he works on these days. Which one is the best? Time to decide!
- Sister Act is a musical based on the hit 1992 film of the same name with music by Alan Menken, lyrics by Glenn Slater, book by Bill and Cheri Steinkellner, and additional book material by Douglas... more
- 3714Newsies The Musical is a Disney Theatrical Productions stage musical based on the 1992 film Newsies, which in turn was inspired by the real-life Newsboys Strike of 1899 in New York City. The show has... more
- Little Shop of Horrors is a comedy horror rock musical, by composer Alan Menken and writer Howard Ashman, about a hapless florist shop worker who raises a plant that feeds on human blood and flesh.... more
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame is a musical based on the 1996 Disney film of the same name, which in turn was inspired by the 1831 Victor Hugo novel of the same name. It has music by Alan Menken, lyrics... more
- The Little Mermaid is a stage musical produced by Disney Theatrical, based on the animated 1989 Disney film of the same name and the classic story of the same name by Hans Christian Andersen about a... more
- 2819Aladdin is a musical based on the 1992 Disney animated film of the same name with music by Alan Menken and lyrics by Howard Ashman, Tim Rice and Chad Beguelin. The story follows the familiar tale of... more
- Beauty and the Beast is a musical with music by Alan Menken, lyrics by Howard Ashman and Tim Rice, and book by Linda Woolverton. Adapted from Walt Disney Pictures' Academy Award-winning 1991 animated... more
A Christmas CarolA Christmas Carol is a musical with music by Alan Menken, lyrics by Lynn Ahrens, and book by Mike Ockrent and Lynn Ahrens. The musical is based on Charles Dickens' 1843 novella of the same name. The... more
- A Bronx Tale is a musical based on the play by the same name with a book by Chazz Palminteri, music by Alan Menken, and lyrics by Glenn Slater. After a ten year development process, the original one... more
King DavidKing David is a musical, sometimes described as a modern oratorio, with a book and lyrics by Tim Rice and music by Alan Menken. The musical is based on Biblical tales from the Books of Samuel and 1... more
Leap of FaithLeap of Faith is a stage musical based on the 1992 American movie of the same name, which starred Steve Martin. The music is by Alan Menken, with lyrics by Glenn Slater and a book by Janus Cercone... more
The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz
- God Bless You Mr. Rosewater is a play by Howard Ashman.... more
Weird RomanceWeird Romance is a play by Alan Brennert....