The Best Musical Artists From Alaska
Here are the best artists and bands from Alaska. There may not be a ton of bands and singers coming out of Alaska. However, what it lacks in quantity, it more than makes up for in quality. Alaskan music incorporates numerous traditions and cultures. Residents of the state flock to the Alaska Folk Festival every year in Juneau. Other well-attended festivals in the area include Athabascan Old-Time Fiddling Festival, Anchorage Folk Festival, and Fairbanks Folk Festival. Bands from the continental United States visit Alaska to partake in these festivals as well as the most famous musical artists from Alaska.
This is probably the point where a lot of people reading are asking themselves, "Which musical artists are from Alaska?" Any fans of bluegrass will have heard of Bearfoot, which are predominantly known for their work Fishtrap Joe. This epic work details the struggles between the local Alaskan fisherman and Seattle-based fish empires. Other popular Alaska artists include Jewel, Portugal the Man, Marian Call, Artis the Spoonman, and Hilary Weeks.
If you have listened to any of these Alaskan musical artists, then you should vote on this list. Let everyone know how Alaska has contributed to the music industry by ensuring your favorite band or singer makes it to the top of the list.
- Portugal. The Man are an American rock band from Wasilla, Alaska, currently based in Portland, Oregon. The group consists of John Baldwin Gourley, Zach Carothers, Kyle O'Quin, Jason Sechrist, Eric ...more
Jewel Kilcher (born May 23, 1974) is an American singer-songwriter, musician, producer, actress, author, and poet. She has received four Grammy Award nominations and, as of 2015, has sold over 30 ...more
- Albums: Pieces of You, Joy: A Holiday Collection, Spirit, 0304, This Way
- Jason Mark Everman (born October 16, 1967) is an American musician and soldier who played guitar with Nirvana and bass in Soundgarden and OLD. He later served tours in both Iraq and Afghanistan with ...more
BearfootAmericana, Folk music, Bluegrass
Bearfoot is a post-bluegrass band that started in Alaska in 1999 as Bearfoot Bluegrass. The original all-Alaskan band competed in and won the 26th annual Telluride Bluegrass band contest in 2001, and ...more
- Albums: Doors and Windows, American Story, Back Home, Follow Me, Only Time Knows
PamyuaYupik musical group
Pamyua is a Yupik musical group from Anchorage in the U.S. state of Alaska.
- Albums: Side A / Side B, Ocean Prayer, mengluni, Verses-Apallut
Artis the Spoonman (born October 3, 1948) is an American street performer and musician from Seattle, Washington, who uses spoons as a musical instrument. He frequents the Pike Place Market ...more
- Albums: ...Entertain the Entertainers, A Livin' Spoonful