Looking for more anime like Gantz? On the darker side of anime there are very specific series that are sure to wrench your gut. Gantz is certainly one of those series, as we follow the story of Kei Kurono whose death has lead him to a horrific game that certainly could be akin to hell itself. If you're a fan of more horror, gore, or thriller elements in your shows, these Gantz recommendations will surely provide you with your next great anime to watch.
Shows like Future Diary or Deadman Wonderland are great Gantz recommendations and have much of the same elements put into play. Main characters are thrown into a horrific situation where it's life or death; at least Kei was already dead, but reliving your demise sounds like a horrible way to spend the afterlife. These characters could probably agree as they fight to survive and witness some of the most traumatic instances never before thought possible. But there is a spectrum to a series like Gantz where characters are often trapped with no way out. Sword Art Online is a great example of a key element being used while not being incredibly violent.
Vote up the best anime like Gantz you'd most recommend to other fans of this incredible series!
- Inuyashiki (Fuji TV, 2017), also known as Inuyashiki: Last Hero, is a Japanese sci-fi anime series based on the manga by Hiroya Oku. A middle-aged office worker encounters aliens and is gifted with ...more
- A teenager and an alien parasite work together to survive their unique circumstances.
- A gamer must fight for his life after he wakes up in a real-life version of an online game.
- The hybrid warrior Clare and her comrades fight to protect their land from shapeshifting demons.
- Terra Formars (Tokyo MX, 2014) is a Japanese sci-fi horror anime series based on the is a 2011 Japanese manga series written by Yu Sasuga and illustrated by Kenichi Tachibana from Liden Films ...more
- Elfen Lied is a 2002 Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Lynn Okamoto. Rejected by humans, teenage mutant girl Lucy seeks revenge against those who wronged her.
- A team of mercenaries smuggles goods around Southeast Asia.
- This anime series, based on a series of manga books, centers on Ganta.
- The adventures of Inspector Akane Tsunemori.
- Future Diary (Asread, 2011), also known as The Future Diary or Mirai Nikki, is a Japanese supernatural thriller anime series based on the manga by Sakae Esuno. A young man competes with people around ...more
- Higurashi When They Cry (Chiba TV, 2006) is a supernatural mystery anime series based on the dojin soft visual novel series produced by 07th Expansion from Passione animation studio. During June 1983 ...more
- The adventures of Tatsumi as he heads to the Imperial Capital to try to raise money for his village.
- Three friends join the Survey Corps to try to take their world back from the Titans.
- Death Note (Madhouse, 2006) is a Japanese supernatural thriller anime series based on the manga by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata. The story follows Light Yagami, a teen genius who stumbles across a ...more
- Another (P.A. Works, 2012) is a Japanese supernatural horror anime series based on the 2009 novel of the same name by Yukito Ayatsuji. A young man named Koichi Sakakibara transfers to a new school ...more
- Bokurano: Ours is a Japanese science fiction manga by Mohiro Kitoh that was serialized in the monthly manga magazine Ikki from 2003 to 2009; 11 tankōbon have been published by Shogakukan. It is about ...more
- Tokko is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Tohru Fujisawa. It was serialized in Kodansha's Afternoon in 2003 and collected into 3 tankōbon volumes. An anime adaptation directed by ...more
- Speed Grapher is a 2005 anime series created by Gonzo. The series ran for 24 episodes from April to October 2005 on TV Asahi. It tells the story of former war photographer, Tatsumi Saiga and his ...more
- In a realm within the afterlife, a band of teens fight to keep from being taken to the next level.
- Four dead girls search for the truth behind their deaths.
- Bus Gamer is a short-lived Japanese manga series created by Kazuya Minekura. It only exists as a single volume 'Pilot Edition' due to difficulties in serialization. The manga has been licensed for ...more
- Devil Survivor 2: The Animation is a 2013 Japanese anime series based on the Nintendo DS video game, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 by Atlus. The series was directed by Seiji Kishi, with series ...more