Ghost in the Shell: SAC is one of those series that portrays classic sci-fi anime; a beloved genre that most fans can attest to bringing forth some of the best storylines out there. How can you possibly rival something that plays out its story so well? We've certainly got a few ideas with the following Ghost in the Shell recommendations. Let's rank the best anime like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, with the help of your votes.
Darker series like Ergo Proxy are always great follow-ups because they seem to have more of the initial feel Ghost in the Shell portrays. While this particular series is slightly darker, it does hold some of the most key elements that helped make Stand Alone Complex the series it is; bioengineering is always an interesting thought for the future. Or, if you'd rather look into the argument of what it truly means to be alive, Chobits is a lighter series that has everything to do with life-like computers seeming to be very close to humans. With a mystery that relies heavily on technology, it brings a different depth to this genre that shows like Ghost in the Shell don't really get a chance to touch on. For a more modern anime like Stand Alone Complex, be sure to check out Psycho Pass (although the second season isn't as good.)
If you're ready for more sci-fi, we've got the perfect list for you. Vote up the anime you feel is more like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex or the ones that were simply your favorites!
- Bounty hunters search for criminals.
- The adventures of Inspector Akane Tsunemori.
- A team of mercenaries smuggles goods around Southeast Asia.
- Robots and humans coexist in harmony after an apocalypse.
- Hei takes orders from the syndicate in Tokyo.
- Monster (Nippon TV, 2004) is a Japanese psychological thriller anime series based on the manga by Naoki Urasawa from Madhouse animation studio. Kenzo Tenma, a Japanese surgeon living in Germany, ...more
- Akira is a 1988 Japanese animated cyberpunk action film directed by Katsuhiro Otomo, written by Otomo and Izo Hashimoto, and featuring the voices of Mitsuo Iwata, Nozomu Sasaki, Mami Koyama, and Taro ...more
- An adolescent girl develops a unique connection to a virtual reality network known as The Wired.
- Terror in Resonance (Fuji TV, 2014) is a Japanese psychological thriller anime series from MAPPA animation studio. Tokyo has been decimated by a terrorist attack, and the only clue to the culprit's ...more
- Gangs wage a war in an experimental city deep inside the Earth.
- Jin-Roh, also known as Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade in its American release, is a 1999 Japanese animated feature film directed by Hiroyuki Okiura. The film is the third adaptation of Mamoru Oshii's ...more
- When Saki Morimi gets into trouble, she is helped by a man who calls himself, Akira Takizawa.
- A female mercenary team, armed with unique power armor suits, battle the forces of the corrupt mega-corporation, Genom in futuristic Tokyo.
- Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom (AT-X, 2009) is a Japanese action drama anime series based on the adult visual novel game created by Nitroplus from Bee Train animation studio. A Japanese national ...more
- Witch Hunter Robin (TV Tokyo, 2002) is a Japanese supernatural mystery thriller anime series from Sunrise. The STN-J, the Japanese branch of a secret global organization called "SOLOMON", fights the ...more
- A student contends with school and his new android and the problems both bring.
- Death Note (Madhouse, 2006) is a Japanese supernatural thriller anime series based on the manga by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata. The story follows Light Yagami, a teen genius who stumbles across a ...more
- Planetes is a Japanese hard science fiction manga written and illustrated by Makoto Yukimura. It was adapted into a 26-episode anime television series by Sunrise, which was broadcast on NHK from ...more
- Mezzo DSA is a 13-episode anime series created by Yasuomi Umetsu and the first not to be licensed by Anime Works, but instead licensed by ADV Films. It is a follow up to the 2001 OVA Mezzo Forte.
- A repentant warrior guards a prince who has a connection to a legendary power.
- Akiko: Time of Eve is a film in the film series Time of Eve.
- Night Raid 1931, is a Japanese anime television series produced by A-1 Pictures and Aniplex and directed by Jun Matsumoto. The 13-episode anime aired in Japan on the TV Tokyo television network ...more