How could you possibly compare any series to the Gundam franchise? A beloved sci-fi and mech anime, this is one of the most classic series out there. Mobile Suit Gundam is yet another classic we can all love and appreciate, but when it's over it feels like we're really missing something.
Luckily there are plenty of options. You could always go for the obvious by picking another Gundam series, such as Mobile Suit Gundam SEED, or you could pick an entirely new series that belongs to the same genre. We've compiled a few recommendations that fit Mobile Suit Gundam perfectly, and we're sure you'll enjoy. Classics like Neon Genesis Evangelion are perfect follow up as a mech anime most fans appreciate. Younger series such as Code Geass are also excellent choices if you like to see a little more politics in play with your mech anime.
Check out our recommendations for anime like Mobile Suit Gundam and vote up your favorites!
- 3415Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (Animax, 2006), often referred to as simply Code Geass, is a Japanese sci-fi anime series from Sunrise animation studios. Set in an alternate timeline, the series... more
Mobile Suit Gundam SEEDMobile Suit Gundam SEED is an anime series developed by Sunrise and directed by Mitsuo Fukuda. As with other series from the Gundam franchise, Gundam SEED takes place in a future calendar era, in... more
- 189Eureka Seven, known in Japan as Psalms of Planets Eureka seveN, is a 2005 Japanese anime series created by Bones. The series was directed by Tomoki Kyoda, with series composition by Dai Satō and... more
- Legend of the Galactic Heroes, also known as LOTGH, is a series of science fiction novels written by Yoshiki Tanaka. In humanity's distant future, two interstellar states - the monarchic Galactic... more
Armored Trooper VotomsArmored Trooper VOTOMS is a series of military science fiction mecha anime series. The original 1983 television series was created by Ryosuke Takahashi and Sunrise, featuring mechanical designs by... more
- Valvrave the Liberator is a Japanese mecha anime series, produced by Sunrise. It is directed by Kō Matsuo and written by Ichirō Ōkouchi. The series is set in a futuristic date in which three factions... more
- Super Dimension Fortress Macross is an anime television series from 1982. According to story creator Shoji Kawamori, it depicts "a love triangle against the backdrop of great battles" during the... more
- 97Neon Genesis Evangelion (Gainax, 1995), commonly referred to as Evangelion or Eva, is a Japanese mecha anime series. When violent monsters descend upon Earth to destroy humanity, a reluctant young... more
- Tekkaman Blade is a 1992 anime television series. In 1995 it was released in America under the name Teknoman.... more
Knights of the ZodiacKnights of the Zodiac is a Japanese animated TV program....
- Sergeant Keroro is the Captain of the Space Invasion Forces Special Advance Team of the 58th Planet of the Gamma Storm Cloud System, sent to the planet Pekopon (aka Earth) to collect intelligence for... more
- Space Runaway Ideon is a 1980 anime television series produced by Sunrise, created and directed by Yoshiyuki Tomino, produced immediately following his most famous work, Mobile Suit Gundam. It first... more
Fang of the Sun DougramFang of the Sun Dougram is a 75-episode anime television series, created by Ryosuke Takahashi and Sunrise, and aired in Japan from October 23, 1981 to March 25, 1983 on TV Tokyo. A 1983 full-length... more
- Linebarrels of Iron is a Japanese manga series created by Eiichi Shimizu and Tomohiro Shimoguchi. The series was first serialized in Akita Shoten's monthly shōnen manga magazine, Champion Red, in... more
- Mazinger Z, known briefly as Tranzor Z in the United States, is a Japanese super robot manga series written and illustrated by Go Nagai. The first manga version was serialized in Shueisha's Weekly... more
- Gunbuster, known in Japan as Aim for the Top!, is a six episode anime OVA series created by Gainax in 1988. It was the directorial debut of Hideaki Anno, best known as the director of Neon Genesis... more
Metal Armor DragonarMetal Armor Dragonar is a 48-episode mecha anime series, created by Sunrise and aired from 1987 to 1988. Devised shortly after the release of Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ, Dragonar was intended to be both a... more
Future Boy ConanFuture Boy Conan is a post-apocalyptic science fiction anime series, which premiered across Japan on the NHK network between April 4 and October 31, 1978 on the Tuesday 19:30-20:00 timeslot. The... more
- 924Sword Art Online (A-1 Pictures, 2012) is a Japanese fantasy anime series based on the light novel series written by Reki Kawahara and illustrated by abec. In the year 2022, thousands of people get... more