Out of the many historical fiction shoujo anime series out there, The Rose of Versailles is one of the most interesting and beautiful ones you could ever watch. Based in 1700's France, the story follows none other than Marie Antoinette and her journey to becoming a princess after marrying the French prince. Of course, life as a princess is not all that easy, especially when your husband's mistress is certainly out to get you.
It's not always easy to find The Rose of Versailles recommendations that are based on real-life stories with an interesting twist, but you will be surprised at what is out there. Take the anime rendition, Romeo X Juliet, based on the original Shakespearian play. While it's certainly different from the original tale, it still holds true to certain elements. Of course, there's always those anime series that surprise you with important themes, such as Revolutionary Girl Utena which portrayed a strong bond between women, much like The Rose of Versailles did.
A perfect story filled with drama and romance needs recommendations that offer much of the same. We've picked the perfect anime like The Rose of Versailles, so make sure to vote up your favorites!
Les Misérables: Shōjo Cosette
- Revolutionary Girl Utena is a manga by Chiho Saito and an anime directed by Kunihiko Ikuhara. The anime and manga were created simultaneously, but, despite some similarities, they progressed in... more
Romeo x Juliet
- Nobody's Boy: Remi is a Japanese-Italian anime series by Tokyo Movie Shinsha. The story is based upon French author Hector Malot's novel Sans Famille in France. The anime is well known in Hong Kong,... more
- Yona of the Dawn (Akatsuki no Yona) is a Japanese manga series by Mizuho Kusanagi and 2014 anime series. The story follows the redemption of Yona, the sole princess to the kingdom of Kouka, whose... more
- Princess Knight, released in Japan as Ribon no Kishi, is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Osamu Tezuka. This manga follows the adventures of Princess Sapphire, a girl who pretends... more
- The Twelve Kingdoms is a Japanese TV series adaptation of The Twelve Kingdom literary series written by Fuyumi Ono.... more
- Legend of the Galactic Heroes, also known as LOTGH, is a series of science fiction novels written by Yoshiki Tanaka. In humanity's distant future, two interstellar states - the monarchic Galactic... more
- Le Chevalier D'Eon is a 24-episode anime TV series produced by Production I.G based on an original story by Tow Ubukata. The anime originally aired in Japan on WOWOW from August 19, 2006 to February... more
Kaze to ki no utaKaze to ki no uta is a 1987 romance animation directed by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, and produced by Isamu Asami and Utagawa Touju....
La Seine no HoshiLa Seine no Hoshi is an anime series by Sunrise, which premiered in Japan on Fuji TV from April 4, 1975 and finished its run on December 26, 1975, spanning a total of 39 episodes. The title... more
Chōdenji Machine Voltes VChōdenji Machine Voltes V more popularly known as Voltes V, is a Japanese anime television series that was first aired on TV Asahi starting June 4, 1977. It was created by Saburo Yatsude and directed... more
- 68Berserk (Wowow, 1997) is a Japanese dark fantasy anime series based on the manga series by Kentaro Miura from OLM animation studio. Guts is a skilled swordsman who joins forces with a mercenary group... more
- Hanasakeru Seishōnen is an anime series based on the manga series Hanasakeru Seishōnen.... more
- From the New World is a Japanese novel by Yusuke Kishi, originally published in 2008 by Kodansha. There's an anime television series adaptation which aired in Japan between October 2012 and March... more
- March Comes in like a Lion (Sangatsu no Raion) is a manga series by Chica Umino and 2016 anime series. Rei is a 17-year-old professional shōgi player who lives alone, estranged from his family.... more