A sheltered princess since birth, Yona has always thought her kingdom, Kouka, to be a peaceful one. But when her beloved cousin kills the king and threatens her life, she's forced to run in order to survive, realizing just how wrong she was. Navigating her kingdom as though she were seeing it for the first time, Yona realizes just how blind she's been to her people's suffering all this time.
As a fantasy anime that has heavy elements of historic Japan, this series is excellent for a binge-watching session. However, if you've already blown through the show, we're happy to help you find your next big obsession with anime just like Yona of the Dawn. Series like Fushigi Yuugi are not only incredibly entertaining but also quite long; meaning you'll have to have some serious time on your hands to dedicate. There are also wonderful fantasy themed anime, such as The Ancient Magus Bride, that offer more of a modern feel while sticking to its mystic roots, giving you a nice blend of both worlds.
We've got the best list of recommendations for anime like Yona of the Dawn with excellent stories that are sure to thrill you. Let us know which series were your favorites by voting them up on the list!
- Kamisama Kiss is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Julietta Suzuki. An anime adaptation has been produced by TMS Entertainment and directed by Akitaro Daichi and began airing in... more
- Snow White with the Red Hair is a 2015 anime series based on the Japanese shōjo manga written by Sorata Akizuki. After refusing to become the prince's concubine, a young red-haired girl runs... more
- Ouran High School Host Club (Bones, 2006) is a Japanese romantic comedy anime series based on the manga series by Bisco Hatori. Haruhi Fujioka, a scholarship student at the prestigious and elite... more
- Inuyasha (Sunrise, 2000), also known as Inuyasha: A Feudal Fairy Tale, is a Japanese fantasy anime series based on the manga series by Rumiko Takahashi. A teenage girl periodically travels back in... more
- Ludere Deorum is a Japanese visual novel by Nippon Ichi Software and Broccoli. An anime television series adaptation by Brain's Base was announced in December 2013 and aired from April to June 2014.... more
- Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic (A-1 Pictures, 2012) is a Japanese fantasy adventure anime series based on the manga by Shinobu Ohtaka. Aladdin, Alibaba, and Morgiana go their separate ways after... more
- The Seven Deadly Sins (MBS, 2014) is a Japanese fantasy anime series based on the manga by Nakaba Suzuki from A-1 Pictures. A once-active group of knights called the Seven Deadly Sins must band... more
- Skip Beat! is a Taiwanese television drama based on the manga of the same name by Yoshiki Nakamura. It premiered on 18 December 2011 on FTV Main Channel and 24 December 2011 on GTV Variety Show. Skip... more
- Hiiro no Kakera, is a Japanese visual novel created by Idea Factory directed at the female market, known as an otome game. Released on July 6, 2006 for the PlayStation 2, the protagonist is a teenage... more
- Hakuōki is an otome video game series by Idea Factory. It has been adapted into an anime series by Studio Deen. Chizuru Yukimura heads to Kyoto to search for her father, finding herself attacked... more
- Akame ga Kill! is a 2010 Japanese shōnen manga series written by Takahiro and illustrated by Tetsuya Tashiro. A young villager named Tatsumi travels to the Capital to raise money for his home... more
- The Heroic Legend of Arslan is a 1991 adventure animation film written by Tomoyo Miyashita, Chisato Nakamura, Kaori Takada, and Yoshiki Tanaka and directed by Mamoru Hamatsu.... more
- Hanasakeru Seishōnen is an anime series based on the manga series Hanasakeru Seishōnen.... more
- Fena: Pirate Princess (Adult Swim, 2021) is an original Japanese anime television series from Production I.G animation studio. Orphaned and raised as a servant, Fena Houtman's life changes when she... more
- She carries the pain of eight souls. He carries the burden of one sacred spirit. At a time when the balance of nature still held the civilizations of mankind in thrall, a single drought could spell... more
- Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East is a Japanese manga series by Miyuki Abe based on the epic novel series Nansō Satomi Hakkenden. An anime adaptation of the manga, produced by Studio Deen, premiered... more
- One Piece (FNS, 1999) is a Japanese action adventure anime based on manga series written and illustrated by Eiichiro Oda from Toei Animation. Monkey D. Luffy, a young man who, inspired by his... more
- Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers is a Japanese light novel series written by Ishio Yamagata, with illustrations by Miyagi. An anime television series produced by Passione and directed by Takeo... more
- Scrapped Princess is a Japanese light novel series by Ichiro Sakaki and illustrated by Yukinobu Azumi, also known as the popular adult dōjin artist Nakayohi Mogudan. In 2003, it was adapted into an... more
- The Twelve Kingdoms is a Japanese TV series adaptation of The Twelve Kingdom literary series written by Fuyumi Ono.... more
- Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle is a shōnen manga series written and illustrated by the manga artist group Clamp. It takes place in the same fictional universe as many of Clamp's other manga series,... more