The 25+ Darkest Anime Endings
While plenty of anime ends on a happy note, sometimes a series takes your heart and Gundam-blasts it into a million little pieces. A dark ending sometimes works best, especially for a darker show like Berserk, but watching one can still make you cry. Some anime concludes in a way that you never fully recover from it—spoilers ahead, by the way!
Be honest: there's a little part of your soul that's still crying (or laughing, we won’t judge) about Light Yagami crawling around on the floor screaming and begging for his life. Nobody’s getting over the end of School Days—that head is going to haunt your dreams forever.
Vote up the anime with the darkest, most shocking, most miserably messed-up finales that left you running for your copy of My Neighbor Totoro.
If you want to know what led up to the endings check out the best Puella Magi Madoka Magica quotes and the best Griffith quotes.
- A teenager is charged with the care of his younger sister after an Allied firebombing during World War II destroys their home and kills their mother.
- Swordsman Guts embarks on a journey filled with beasts and gruesome vengeance.
- Piano prodigy Kousei Arima had a mental breakdown after his mother died and cannot hear his piano.
- A girl is offered a wish in return for a commitment to battle witches.
- Teenagers pilot giant fighting machines to stop otherworldly monsters from wiping out humanity.
- A high-school student discovers a supernatural notebook that grants its user the ability to kill.