Racing video games are always fun, but racing arcade games? Now that's some serious entertainment—especially when it comes to being a kid in the arcade. Sure, there's a long list of classic arcade games, but there's something about being 10 years old and having the ability to go 120 mph through the streets of San Francisco that brings a real thrill—in a tricked-out sports car nonetheless. Yup, those were the days. Anyway, the best driving arcade games span decades of fun, from the arcade games of the 80s to present day.
When it comes to old-school racing games, not many can beat the classics like Cruis'n USA and Ridge Racer. However, we can all enjoy the updated graphics and features in newer racing games like Split/Second: Velocity and Need for Speed: Underground. Then you have more specialty games like Star Wars: Racer Arcade and the early motorcycle racer Hang-On. Simply put, there's a range of popular arcade racing games. But which one is the very best?
Check out this list of the best retro arcade driving games below and vote up your favorites.
- Daytona USA is a racing video game developed by Sega AM2 and released by Sega, with a limited release in 1993 followed by a full release in 1994. Considered one of the highest grossing arcade games ...more
- Out Run is an arcade game released by Sega in 1986. It was designed by Yu Suzuki and developed by Sega AM2. The game was a critical and commercial success, becoming one of the best-selling video ...more
- Sega Rally Championship is a 1994 arcade racing game developed by AM5 on the Sega Model 2 board. It was ported over to the Sega Saturn in 1995 and PC in 1997. The unique selling point of Sega Rally ...more
- OutRun 2 is a 2003 racing game released by Sega for the arcades. Although this is the first "official" sequel to Out Run, it is the fourth title in the OutRun series.
- Crazy Taxi is an open world racing video game developed by Kenji Kanno and his team at Hitmaker and published by Sega. It is the first game in the Crazy Taxi series. The game was first released in ...more
- Cruis'n USA is an arcade racing game originally released in 1994. It was developed by Midway Games and published and distributed by Nintendo. It is the first game in the Cruis'n series and features ...more
- Ridge Racer is a 1993 racing video game created by Namco. It was initially released on the Namco System 22 arcade system board, and was later ported to the PlayStation console. It is the first title ...more
- Virtua Racing or V.R. for short, is a Formula One racing arcade game, developed by Sega AM2 and released in October 1992. Virtua Racing was initially a proof-of-concept application for exercising a ...more
- Pole Position is an arcade racing video game which was released by Namco in 1982 and licensed to Atari, Inc. for US manufacture and distribution, running on the Namco Pole Position arcade system ...more
- Super Hang-On is a 1987 motorcycle racing arcade game by Sega, and the sequel to the acclaimed Hang-On. A version of this game, in the full simulated-motorcycle cabinet used by the original Hang-On, ...more
- Hydro Thunder is a speedboat racing sub-series game, originally an arcade game and later released for the Sega Dreamcast as a launch title in 1999. It was also released for PlayStation and Nintendo ...more
- Star Wars Episode I: Racer is a racing video game based on the pod race featured in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. As of 2011, the game holds the Guinness record as the best-selling sci-fi ...more
- Spy Hunter is a 1983 arcade game developed and released by Bally Midway. It has also been ported to various home computers and video game systems. As a cabinet-style arcade game, Spy Hunter was ...more
- Ivan 'Ironman' Stewart's Super Off Road is an arcade video game released in 1989 by Leland Corporation. The game was endorsed by professional off road racer Ivan Stewart. Virgin Games produced ...more
- Need for Speed: Underground is the seventh installment in the Need for Speed series, and was developed by EA Black Box and published by Electronic Arts in 2003. Underground completely rebooted the ...more
- Hang-On is an arcade game released by Sega in 1985. It is the world's first full-body-experience video game. In the game, the player controls a motorcycle against time and other computer-controlled ...more
- San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing is a video game developed by Atari Games and published by Midway Games. This game was first released in arcades in 1996 and was ported to Nintendo 64 in 1997 and ...more
- Super Sprint is a 1986 arcade game by Atari Games. The player drives a Formula One-like car on a circuit that is viewed from above.
- Star Wars: Racer Arcade is a 2000 arcade racing game developed by AM5 and LucasArts and released by Sega. It is based on the podracing sequences in the 1999 film, Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom ...more
- Split/Second, released in the UK as Split/Second: Velocity, is an arcade racing video game developed by Black Rock Studio and published by Disney Interactive Studios for Microsoft Windows, ...more
- Race Driver: Grid, released in North America as simply Grid, is an addition to the TOCA Touring Car series, which is published and developed by Codemasters. The game is available for Microsoft ...more
- R.C. Pro-Am is a racing video game developed by UK-based company Rare. It was released for the Nintendo Entertainment System by Nintendo at North America in 1987, and then in Europe on April 15 of ...more
- Forza Horizon 4 is an open world racing video game developed by Playground Games and published by Microsoft Studios. It was released on 2 October 2018 on Xbox One and Microsoft Windows after being ...more