If you love to shout trivia answers at your telly, this list of quiz shows is for you. The top British quiz shows ask questions about a variety of topics, including history, pop culture, and geography. This is a list of the best British quiz shows, including everything from The Chase to Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? to Fifteen to One.
What series will you find on this list of the best British quiz shows? The Weakest Link challenges contestants to answer a series of questions to earn money - but if they answer incorrectly, presenter Anne Robinson will boot them out with the famous line, "You are the weakest link. Goodbye." Jeopardy, the show on which players must answer with a question, is popular in the UK and around the world. Other good quiz shows featured on this list include Blockbusters, Going for Gold, and Are you Smarter than a 10 Year Old?
Which English quiz show is your favorite? Give the greatest competitions a thumbs up to move them to the top of the list, and add any notable series that are missing.
The ChaseThe Chase is a British television quiz show, broadcast on ITV and hosted by Bradley Walsh. Contestants play against an opponent, known as the "Chaser", who plays for the bank. The Chasers are Anne Hegerty, Mark Labbett, Paul Sinha and Shaun Wallace. Labbett and Wallace have both been Chasers since series 1, while Hegerty joined in series 2 and Sinha in series 4. A team of four contestants individually attempt to amass as much money as possible, which will later be added to a prize fund if the contestant survives their individual chase. The Chaser's job is to catch each contestant during their individual chase, eliminating that person from the game and preventing the money from being added... more on Wikipedia
- Actors: Bradley Walsh
- Premiered: 2009
- 2143113Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Fair usePointless is a quiz show produced by Endemol UK for the BBC, hosted by Alexander Armstrong and Richard Osman. Contestants on the programme are tasked with finding obscure answers to questions. The series began airing on BBC Two on 24 August 2009, and was later moved to BBC One in 2011. To date, there have been twelve series, plus six celebrity series. The format has been exported to other European countries.... more on Wikipedia
- Actors: Alexander Armstrong
- Premiered: 2009
- Photo: flickr / CC0Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? (ITV, 1998) is a British television quiz show, created and formerly produced by David Briggs. The show features a quiz competition in which contestants attempt to win a top prize of $1,000,000 by answering a series of multiple-choice questions of increasing difficulty (although, for a time, most of the questions were of random difficulty)... more on Wikipedia
- Actors: Chris Tarrant, Jeremy Clarkson
- Premiered: 1998
- 49066Pop Quiz was a British television quiz programme that originally aired on BBC1 from 4 July 1981 to 28 December 1984 with a Top of the Pops special on 4 January 1994 hosted by Mike Read. It was then revived from 21 May to 9 July 1994 on the same channel but this time hosted by Chris Tarrant. It was revived again on Red TV from 14 June to 30 August 2008 with Mike Read returning as host and again from 15 to 29 December 2011 on Vintage TV.... more on Wikipedia
- Actors: Mike Read
- Premiered: 1981