The Best Broadway Musicals of the 2000s
What are the best Broadway shows today? This has been ranked by theater lovers to determine the top Broadway musicals from the 2000s to the present. From Wicked to Spring Awakening, today's best Broadway musicals are carrying on the musical theater legacy and drawing in audiences both during their Broadway runs, and on tour as well.
Though revivals and adaptations have been increasing in popularity, such as Thoroughly Modern Millie, West Side Story and South Pacific, notable new shows such as Wicked and The Book of Mormon continue to draw audiences to Broadway musicals. Today's Broadway shows dazzle with nonstop dancing, music, and energy, as seen in shows like Hairspray and Billy Elliott. The 2000s have also seen a large draw to musical comedies, including the dark satire of Urinetown, a show with an outrageous plot that kept audiences laughing in their seats.
Though the decade has seen its fair share of criticism that the original musical is dead, Broadway shows are still enjoyed by many who delight in the dazzle of the lights. Broadway today attracts families to shows such as Seussical or Legally Blonde, but treasures such as The Color Purple and Next to Normal continue to keep the Broadway musical alive.Cast your votes below for the greatest modern Broadway musicals and see where the musicals of the 2000s you think are the best rank.
Wicked: The Untold Story of the Witches of Oz is a musical with music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz and book by Winnie Holzman. It is based on the 1995 Gregory Maguire novel Wicked: The Life and ...more
- Characters: Wicked Witch of the West, The Wizard, Glinda the Good Witch, Boq, Doctor Dillamond
- Hamilton: An American Musical is a sung- and rapped-through musical about the life of American Founding Father Alexander Hamilton, with music, lyrics and book by Lin-Manuel Miranda, inspired by the ...more
- Dear Evan Hansen is a musical with music and lyrics by Pasek and Paul, and a book by Steven Levenson. The title character, Evan Hansen, is a high school senior with a social anxiety disorder who ...more
The Book of MormonMatt Stone, Trey Parker, Robert Lopez
The Book of Mormon is a musical comedy. First staged in 2011, the play is a satirical examination of Mormon beliefs and practices that ultimately endorses the positive power of love and service. The ...more
- Characters: Arnold Cunningham, Kevin Price, Nabulungi, General Butt-Fucking Naked, Elder McKinley
- Come from Away is a musical with book, music and lyrics by Irene Sankoff and David Hein. It is set in the week following the September 11 attacks and tells the true story of what transpired when 38 ...more
Hairspray is an American musical with music by Marc Shaiman, lyrics by Scott Wittman and Shaiman and a book by Mark O'Donnell and Thomas Meehan, based on John Waters’s 1988 film of the same name. The ...more
- Characters: Velma Von Tussle, Edna Turnblad, Little Inez, Seaweed J Stupps, Motormouth Maybelle