What are the best Broadway shows today? This has been ranked by theater lovers to determine the top Broadway musicals from the 2000s to the present. From Wicked to Spring Awakening, today's best Broadway musicals are carrying on the musical theater legacy and drawing in audiences both during their Broadway runs, and on tour as well.
Though revivals and adaptations have been increasing in popularity, such as Thoroughly Modern Millie, West Side Story and South Pacific, notable new shows such as Wicked and The Book of Mormon continue to draw audiences to Broadway musicals. Today's Broadway shows dazzle with nonstop dancing, music, and energy, as seen in shows like Hairspray and Billy Elliott. The 2000s have also seen a large draw to musical comedies, including the dark satire of Urinetown, a show with an outrageous plot that kept audiences laughing in their seats.
Though the decade has seen its fair share of criticism that the original musical is dead, Broadway shows are still enjoyed by many who delight in the dazzle of the lights. Broadway today attracts families to shows such as Seussical or Legally Blonde, but treasures such as The Color Purple and Next to Normal continue to keep the Broadway musical alive.Cast your votes below for the greatest modern Broadway musicals and see where the musicals of the 2000s you think are the best rank.
- 3Stephen Schwartz, Winnie Holzman
The Book of MormonMatt Stone, Trey Parker
- 6Lin-Manuel Miranda, Quiara Alegría Hudes
- 7Alan Menken , Jack Feldman
- 9Scott Wittman, Marc Shaiman
- 10Heather Hach, Laurence O'Keefe
- 11Charles Hart , Richard Stilgoe
- 12Björn Ulvaeus, Catherine Johnson
- 13Tom Kitt, Brian Yorkey
- 14Richard M. Sherman, Robert B. Sherman
- 15Steven Sater, Duncan Sheik
Avenue QJeff Marx, Jeff Whitty
- 18Dennis Kelly , Tim Minchin
- 19Richard O'Brien
- 20Mel Brooks, Thomas Meehan
- 21Marshall Brickman, Rick Elice
- 22Jeanine Tesori, Richard Morris
- 23Elton John, Lee Hall
SpamalotNeil Innes, John Du Prez