What were the most popular and greatest Broadway musicals of the 70s? This list ranks the top Broadway musicals that first debuted in the 1970s. From Annie to Godspell, the 1970s produced some of the most groundbreaking shows in musical theater history. This list has the top Broadway musicals from the 1970s as ranked by theater lovers.
The 1970s proved to be a great time for change and growth on Broadway. Gone were the days of Oklahoma! and other conventional Broadway styles. Shows such as A Chorus Line found major success by combining music with dancing and other such theatrics. Musical Broadway in the 70s also saw the rise of two famous composers, Andrew Lloyd Webber (Evita, Jesus Christ Superstar) and Stephen Sondheim (Sweeney Todd).
In the 70s, movie musicals also saw a rise following the success of Grease both on stage and off. Rock music began dominating the stage, over traditional Broadway styles, and thrived in shows such as The Me Nobody Knows and gave birth to the "rock opera," like Jesus Christ Superstar, by combining dialogue and music.The 1970s proved to be a decade of innovation and excitement in both musical and Broadway history. Vote up the best 1970s Broadway musical below and see where the musicals you think are the greatest of this era rank.
- 1Edward Kleban , Nicholas Dante
- 2Bob Fosse , Fred Ebb
- 3Hugh Wheeler , Stephen Sondheim
- 4Warren Casey , Jim Jacobs
EvitaAndrew Lloyd Webber , Tim Rice
- 6Andrew Lloyd Webber , Tim Rice
- 7Stephen Schwartz , Roger O. Hirson
- 8George Furth , Stephen Sondheim
- 9Martin Charnin , Thomas Meehan
HairGerome Ragni , Galt MacDermot
- 11Charlie Smalls , William F. Brown
- 12John-Michael Tebelak , Stephen Schwartz
- 13Hugh Wheeler , Stephen Sondheim
- 14James Goldman , Stephen Sondheim
- 15Philip Rose , James Lee Barrett
- 16Richard Maltby, Jr.
- 17Carol Hall , Larry L. King
- 18Marvin Hamlisch , Neil Simon
- 19Richard Rodgers , Mary Rodgers
- 20Cy Coleman , Adolph Green
- 21Bob Fosse,
- 22John Weidman , Hugh Wheeler
- 23Adolph Green , Betty Comden
- 24Peter Stone , Jule Styne
- 25Charlotte Zaltzberg , Robert Brittan