There's nothing quite like a live Broadway musical. But what are the best Broadway musicals from the 80s? From Cats to the Phantom of the Opera, the 1980s produced some the most iconic Broadway musicals known today. This list has been ranked by theater fans to determine the best Broadway musicals from the 1980s.
The 1980s was an exciting time for musical theater with seasoned composers such as Andrew Lloyd Webber and Stephen Sondheim redefining Broadway history with hits such as Cats, The Phantom of the Opera, Sunday in the Park with George, and Into the Woods. The 80s was about innovation and spectacle, as seen in shows such as Barnum, a raucous, circus-themed show that delighted audiences with hits such as "The Colors of My Life."
Today, we still owe credit to the 1980s for introducing audiences the longest running Broadway show, Cats, a dazzling and revolutionary musical that brought memorable ballads such as "Memory" and a story that won't soon be forgotten.
Still, the 80s also saw its fair share of disasters, such as the musical flop of Carrie. However, the mega-success of shows like Les Miserables, Dreamgirls, and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat would win audiences over for decades to come. Some have described the 1980s as the last great era of Broadway that brought some of the best musical theater talent to stardom.Cast your votes below for the best 1980s Broadway musicals.
- 36471Les Misérables, colloquially known as Les Mis or Les Miz is a sung-through musical based on... more
- 31398The Phantom of the Opera is a musical with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Charles... more
- 24776Into the Woods is a musical with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and book by James... more
- 12967Dreamgirls is a Broadway musical, with music by Henry Krieger and lyrics and book by Tom Eyen.... more
- 13875Singin' in the Rain is a musical with a book by Betty Comden and Adolph Green, lyrics by... more
- 194125Cats is a musical composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber, based on Old Possum's Book of Practical... more
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor DreamcoatAndrew Lloyd Webber , Tim RiceJoseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is a musical or operetta with lyrics by Tim Rice... more
- 10251Sunday in the Park with George is a musical with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and book... more
- 906042nd Street is an American musical with a book by Michael Stewart and Mark Bramble, lyrics by... more
- 5530Me and My Girl is a musical with music by Noel Gay and its original book and lyrics by Douglas... more
- 8262Chess is a musical with music by Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus of the pop group ABBA,... more
- 5433Song and Dance is a musical comprising two acts, one told entirely in "Song" and one entirely... more
- 5334Torch Song Trilogy is a collection of three plays by Harvey Fierstein rendered in three acts:... more
- 4930Baby is a musical with a book by Sybille Pearson, based on a story developed with Susan... more
- 6550La Cage aux Folles (French pronunciation: [la kaʒ o fɔl]) is a musical with a book by Harvey... more
- 4533Brighton Beach Memoirs is a semi-autobiographical play by Neil Simon, the first chapter in... more
- 4030Woman of the Year is a musical with a book by Peter Stone and score by John Kander and Fred... more
- 4244Amadeus is a play by Peter Shaffer, which gives a highly fictionalized account of the lives of... more
- 2220A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum is a musical with music and lyrics by Stephen... more
- 5362Starlight Express is a rock musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber, Richard Stilgoe and Arlene... more
- 4757Carrie: The Musical is a musical with a book by Lawrence D. Cohen, lyrics by Dean Pitchford,... more
- 2832City of Angels is a musical comedy with music by Cy Coleman, lyrics by David Zippel, and book... more
- 3239Grand Hotel is a musical with a book by Luther Davis and music and lyrics by Robert Wright and... more
RagsStephen Schwartz , Joseph SteinRags is a musical with a book by Joseph Stein, lyrics by Stephen Schwartz, and music by... more
- 3242Nine is a musical, initially created and written by Maury Yeston as a class-project in Lehman... more