There's nothing quite like a live Broadway musical. But what are the best Broadway musicals from the 80s? From Cats to the Phantom of the Opera, the 1980s produced some the most iconic Broadway musicals known today. This list has been ranked by theater fans to determine the best Broadway musicals from the 1980s.
The 1980s was an exciting time for musical theater with seasoned composers such as Andrew Lloyd Webber and Stephen Sondheim redefining Broadway history with hits such as Cats, The Phantom of the Opera, Sunday in the Park with George, and Into the Woods. The 80s was about innovation and spectacle, as seen in shows such as Barnum, a raucous, circus-themed show that delighted audiences with hits such as "The Colors of My Life."
Today, we still owe credit to the 1980s for introducing audiences the longest running Broadway show, Cats, a dazzling and revolutionary musical that brought memorable ballads such as "Memory" and a story that won't soon be forgotten.
Still, the 80s also saw its fair share of disasters, such as the musical flop of Carrie. However, the mega-success of shows like Les Miserables, Dreamgirls, and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat would win audiences over for decades to come. Some have described the 1980s as the last great era of Broadway that brought some of the best musical theater talent to stardom.Cast your votes below for the best 1980s Broadway musicals.
- 1Claude-Michel Schönberg , Jean-Marc Natel
- 2Charles Hart , Richard Stilgoe
- 3James Lapine , Stephen Sondheim
- 4Tom Eyen , Henry Krieger
- 5Betty Comden, Adolph Green
- 6Richard Stilgoe , Andrew Lloyd Webber
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor DreamcoatAndrew Lloyd Webber , Tim Rice
- 8James Lapine , Stephen Sondheim
- 9Mark Bramble , Al Dubin
- 10Björn Ulvaeus , Benny Andersson
- 11Jerry Herman , Harvey Fierstein
- 12Peter Shaffer
- 13Burt Shevelove , Larry Gelbart
- 14George Forrest , Maury Yeston
- 15Dean Pitchford , Lawrence D. Cohen
- 16David Zippel , Larry Gelbart
- 17Don Black , Richard Stilgoe
- 18Maury Yeston , Arthur Kopit
RagsStephen Schwartz , Joseph Stein
- 20Noel Gay , Douglas Furber
- 21Mark Bramble , Cy Coleman
- 22Richard Maltby, Jr.
- 23Richard Maltby, Jr.
- 24Harvey Fierstein
- 25Fred Ebb , John Kander