Christmas is a time for peace and tranquility, a time for families to come together by the tranquil light of the fire and to reflect on the year gone by over a glass of eggnog.
Unless you've got kids. If you've got kids, Christmas is a delirious marathon, a process that you survive as much as enjoy. Between toy shopping, Christmas parties and winter break, there are times that a parent wants nothing more than to sit their kid in front of a movie for an hour or two, just so they can get a moment to themselves.
Lucky for you, we've got this list of the best Christmas films for children. This list is made up of good, appropriate Christmas movies for young kids because you really don't want to be the parent who accidentally let their kid watch Bad Santa this year. So if you've ever asked yourself "what Christmas films can little kids watch," look to the list below for the answer then vote for your favorites and don't forget to add any movies that we're missing here! Then put on a movie and get an hour to yourself in the midst of Christmas craziness.
Just kidding, don't you have wrapping to do?
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is a Christmas television special produced in stop motion animation by Rankin/Bass Productions and currently distributed by DreamWorks Classics. It first aired Sunday, ...more
- This special is a 1966 American animated television film special directed by Chuck Jones. It is based on the eponymous children's book by Dr. Seuss, the story of The Grinch trying to take away ...more
- Divorced dad Scott (Tim Allen) has custody of his son (Eric Lloyd) on Christmas Eve. After he accidentally kills a man in a Santa suit, they are magically transported to the North Pole, where an elf ...more
- Siblings Kate and Teddy Pierce hatch a scheme to capture Santa Claus on Christmas Eve. When the plan goes awry, the kids join forces with a somewhat jolly Saint Nick and his loyal elves to save the ...more
- Tom Hanks and director Robert Zemeckis ("Forrest Gump"; "Cast Away") reunite for "Polar Express," an inspiring adventure based on the beloved children's book by Chris Van Allsburg. When a doubting ...more
- Frosty the Snowman is an American animated Christmas family television special based on the song "Frosty the Snowman". The program, which first aired on December 7, 1969 on CBS, was produced for ...more
- The Muppets perform the classic Dickens holiday tale, with Kermit the Frog playing Bob Cratchit, the put-upon clerk of stingy Ebenezer Scrooge (Michael Caine). Other Muppets -- Miss Piggy, Gonzo, ...more
- In this live-action adaptation of the beloved children's tale by Dr. Seuss, the reclusive green Grinch (Jim Carrey) decides to ruin Christmas for the cheery citizens of Whoville. Reluctantly joined ...more
- Buddy (Will Ferrell) was accidentally transported to the North Pole as a toddler and raised to adulthood among Santa's elves. Unable to shake the feeling that he doesn't fit in, the adult Buddy ...more
- Everyone knows that, each Christmas, Santa Claus delivers presents to every last child on Earth. What everyone doesn't know is that Santa accomplishes the feat with a very high-tech operation beneath ...more
- Mickey's Christmas Carol is a 1983 American animated fantasy short film produced by Walt Disney Pictures and released by Buena Vista Distribution. It was directed and produced by Burny Mattinson. The ...more
- Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas is a direct-to-video animated Christmas movie made by Walt Disney Home Video and won the Award for Best Animated Feature Film at the 5th Kecskemét Animation Film ...more
- Mickey's Magical Christmas: Snowed in at the House of Mouse is the first direct-to-video movies spin-off from Disney Junior and Disney Channel animated television series Disney's House of Mouse.
- A Charlie Brown Christmas is a musical animated television film based on the comic strip Peanuts, by Charles M. Schulz. Produced by Lee Mendelson and directed by Bill Melendez, the program made its ...more
- When bratty 8-year-old Kevin McCallister (Macaulay Culkin) acts out the night before a family trip to Paris, his mother (Catherine O'Hara) makes him sleep in the attic. After the McCallisters ...more
- Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town is a 1970 stop motion television special, made by Rankin-Bass. The film stars actor Fred Astaire as the narrator S.D. Kluger, Mickey Rooney as Kris Kringle/Santa Claus, ...more
- A computer-animated omnibus featuring five shorts starring classic Disney characters. The shorts include "Belles of Ice," in which Daisy Duck and Minnie Mouse's friendship comes under strain during ...more
- Teenager Kate Pierce is reunited with Santa Claus when a troublemaker threatens to cancel Christmas -- forever.
- Winnie the Pooh: A Very Merry Pooh Year is a direct-to-video Winnie the Pooh anthology film released in 2002 which features the 1991 Christmas TV special Winnie the Pooh and Christmas Too, as well as ...more
- Scott Calvin (Tim Allen) has been in the role of Santa for the past eight years, and his loyal elves consider him the best one ever. But the world of the "Merry Old Soul" turns upside down when he's ...more
- Shrek the Halls is a television special that premiered on the American television network ABC on Wednesday, November 28, 2007. The thirty minute Christmas special was directed by Gary Trousdale and ...more
- The Year Without a Santa Claus is a 1974 Christmas stop motion animated television special produced by Rankin/Bass Productions. The story is based on Phyllis McGinley's 1956 book of the same name. It ...more
- In this Christmas classic, an old man going by the name of Kris Kringle (Edmund Gwenn) fills in for an intoxicated Santa in Macy's annual Thanksgiving Day parade. Kringle proves to be such a hit that ...more
- After snarky youth Kevin McCallister (Macaulay Culkin) loses track of his father at the airport, he mistakenly gets on a plane headed for New York City -- while the rest of the McCallisters fly to ...more
- The Legend of Frosty the Snowman is a 2004 direct-to-video animated film produced by Classic Media, now known as DreamWorks Classics, due to the 2012 DreamWorks Animation acquisition and Studio B ...more