The Greatest Classic Country & Western Artists Of All-Time
Here are the greatest classic country artists ever, ranked by fans everywhere. A long list indeed, given that there are many amazing talents in such a rich genre of American music. Featuring famous country western singers and legendary bands, this list of country artists is focused on the classic style of country, not the more "contemporary country" that started in the 80s and has evolved through today. In other words, don't expect to see many modern country artists ranked here. From early pioneers of the genre like Doc Boggs, to 60s country singers, like Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton, to some of the 80s country artists, like Patty Loveless, all the most prominent figures in country music who perform the more classic country and western styles are recognized here.
Vote up the top male and female classic country singers, as well as classic country bands, and add your favorites if they deserve to be on this list.
- John R. "Johnny" Cash (February 26, 1932 – September 12, 2003) was an American singer-songwriter, guitarist, actor, and author. He is one of the best-selling music artists of all time, having sold ...more
- Hiram King "Hank" Williams (September 17, 1923 – January 1, 1953) was an American singer-songwriter and musician. Regarded as one of the most significant and influential American singers and ...more
- Merle Ronald Haggard (April 6, 1937 – April 6, 2016) was an American country singer, songwriter, guitarist, and fiddler. Haggard was born in Oildale, California, during the Great Depression. His ...more
- Patsy Cline (born Virginia Patterson Hensley; September 8, 1932 – March 5, 1963) was an American singer. She is considered one of the most influential vocalists of the 20th century and was one of the ...more
- George Glenn Jones (September 12, 1931 – April 26, 2013) was an American musician, singer and songwriter. He achieved international fame for his long list of hit records, including his best known ...more
- Waylon Arnold Jennings (pronounced ; June 15, 1937 – February 13, 2002) was an American singer, songwriter, and musician. In 1958, Buddy Holly arranged Jennings's first recording session, and hired ...more