Any fan of great musicals can probably rattle off every single Cole Porter musical by heart. What are the best Cole Porter musicals? That’s what we’re going to try to decide here.
Cole Porter was a once in a lifetime talent, penning and composing some of the greatest songs of all time. Imagine going back in time to see the opening of Paris in 1928, and hearing the world debut of “Let’s Do It, Let’s Fall in Love." Or picture seeing Out of This World in 1950 and hearing “From This Moment On.” Thrilling to think about, isn’t it?
Each one of the entries on this Cole Porter musical list could easily morph right into a Cole Porter play list, with classic, romantic songs that are truly timeless. These plays and musicals by Cole Porter are among the best of all time – not just in Porter’s prolific era. Many of the best Cole Porter plays went on to be adapted into major motion pictures. For instance, Gay Divorce became the 1934 musical film The Gay Divorcee, starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.
Cole Porter’s legacy of music is incomparable. What is your favorite Cole Porter musical? Time to decide with your votes!
- 3513Kiss Me, Kate is a musical written by Bella and Samuel Spewack with music and lyrics by Cole Porter. The story involves the production of a musical version of William Shakespeare's The Taming of the... more
- 3919Anything Goes is a musical with music and lyrics by Cole Porter. The original book was a collaborative effort by Guy Bolton and P.G. Wodehouse, heavily revised by the team of Howard Lindsay and... more
Gay DivorceGay Divorce is a musical with music and lyrics by Cole Porter and book by Dwight Taylor, adapted by Kenneth Webb and Samuel Hoffenstein. It was Fred Astaire's last Broadway show and featured the hit... more
JubileeJubilee is a musical comedy with a book by Moss Hart and music and lyrics by Cole Porter. It premiered on Broadway in 1935 to rapturous reviews. Inspired by the recent silver jubilee of King George V... more
- Silk Stockings is a musical with a book by George S. Kaufman, Leueen MacGrath, and Abe Burrows and music and lyrics by Cole Porter. The musical is loosely based on the Melchior Lengyel story... more
- Du Barry Was a Lady is a Broadway musical, with music and lyrics by Cole Porter, and the book by Herbert Fields and B.G. DeSylva. The musical starred Bert Lahr, Ethel Merman and Betty Grable, and the... more
Leave It to Me!Leave It to Me! is a 1938 musical with music and lyrics by Cole Porter. The book was a collaborative effort by Samuel and Bella Spewack, who also directed the Broadway production. The musical was... more
- Out of This World is a musical with music and lyrics by Cole Porter, and the book by Dwight Taylor and Reginald Lawrence. The show, an adaptation of Plautus' comedy Amphitryon, first opened on... more
ParisParis is a musical with the book by Martin Brown, and music and lyrics by Cole Porter, as well as Walter Kollo and Louis Alter (music) and E. Ray Goetz and Roy Turk (lyrics). The musical, which... more
Let’s Face It!
- 1211Can-Can is a musical with music and lyrics by Cole Porter, and a book by Abe Burrows. The story concerns the showgirls of the Montmartre dance halls during the 1890s. The original Broadway production... more
Around the World
Red, Hot and Blue
Something to Shout About
You Never Know