Country music is the most popular genre of music and its popularity stems from classic country songs such as these from the 1990s that have paved the way for other, more current artists. Country songs are steeped in Americana and tell the story of ordinary, hard working, hard drinking, and long suffering people just like many of us. Some of the best songs came from the 1970s and the 1980s as well.These are songs from top classic country artists such as Garth Brooks, Reba McEntire, Faith Hill, and LeAnn Rimes. Vote up the greatest 1990s country songs, or add any good song that makes you love '90s country music, it if it isn't already on the list.
- 1This 1990 song won Garth Brooks an award for best country newcomer.
- 2This song was a hit for George Strait in 1992 when it was part of the movie "Pure Country"
The second single off of Carrying Your Love with Me, the title track reached #1 in 1997 becoming Strait's 32nd #1 single of his career.
- 4The ultimate country party crashing song is from this Garth Brooks 1990 tune
- 5Another 1991 hit for Garth Brooks about a woman catching her husband in an affiar
Should've Been a Cowboy, Toby Keith's debut single, reached #1 in 1993.
- 8This 1992 song was a hit for Boorks and Dunn and stayed at #1 for four weeks
- 10This 1993 Alan Jackson tune went gold
- 12Was a hit song off the similarly titled Alan Jackson album from 1991
- 13This 1994 song was Tim McGraw's first #1 hit.
- 14Shania's first #1 single came with this 1995 hit.
- 17This 1991 Garth Brooks song hit #1 on the charts
- 18George Strait was back with another hit in 1999 with this country tune.
Released in June 1996, Carried Away became George Strait's 30th #1 hit
- 23This song was a hit for Reba McEntire in 1990 and was a re-release of a Bobbie Gentry song about a woman who beats poverty by becoming a coutresan.
John Michael Montgomery's second #1 hit, I Swear, reached #1 in February 1994 and topped the Billboard Year End Country Chart for that year.