The beauty of anthology series is the constant flow of fresh stories and the best dark anthology series make sure audiences are treated to new thrills and chills on the regular. Whether the stories change from episode or season, or even by segment, dark anthology shows pull from genres like horror, speculative fiction, and supernatural stories to keep the creeps coming. Though there may be scarier or bloodier anthologies out there, these series often deliver as much soul-haunting darkness as they do frights.
Some of the most popular horror anthology shows serve up a new story each season, such as American Horror Story and The Terror. Others take a more classic tack with several spooky segments each episode, like Creepshow the original Twilight Zone. Anthology series such as Black Mirror, Into The Dark, and Room 104 all separate their stories by episode. The anthology approach may vary for each show, but each one of these shows offers many different dark tales.
Which of these dark anthology series is the best? Vote up the most haunting anthology series below.
- The Twilight Zone is a 1959 American television anthology series created by Rod Serling. It is a series of unrelated stories containing drama, psychological thriller, fantasy, science fiction, suspense, and/or horror, often concluding with a macabre or unexpected twist. A popular and critical success, it introduced many Americans to common science fiction and fantasy tropes.... more
5714Delightfully dark anthology?
- Actors: Rod Serling, Robert McCord, Jay Overholts
- Premiered: October 2, 1959
- Genres (Tv): Anthology, Science fiction, Fantasy, Thriller
- Photo: BBC
See more: Every Black Mirror Episode, RankedBlack Mirror (Netflix, 2011) is a British television anthology series created by Charlie Brooker. The show features speculative fiction with dark and sometimes satirical themes that examine modern society, particularly with regard to the unanticipated consequences of new technologies.... more
458Delightfully dark anthology?
- Actors: Daniel Kaluuya, Toby Kebbell, Rory Kinnear
- Premiered: December 4, 2011
- Genres (Tv): Science fiction, Drama, Anthology
- Photo: American Horror Story / FXAmerican Horror Story (FX, 2011) is an American anthology horror television series created by Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk. An anthology series centering on different characters and locations, including a house with a haunting past, an insane asylum, a witch coven, a freak show, a hotel, a possessed farmhouse, and a cult.... more
4411Delightfully dark anthology?
- Actors: Dylan McDermott, Connie Britton, Taissa Farmiga, Jessica Lange, Evan Peters
- Premiered: October 5, 2011
- Genres (Tv): Horror, Drama, Thriller
- Photo: The TerrorThe Terror (AMC, 2018) is an American horror drama anthology television series developed by David Kajganich, based on the 2007 novel by Dan Simmons. A new story each season, the show follows explorer ships in the first season, and centers on Japanese folklore in the second season.... more
3014Delightfully dark anthology?
- Actors: Derek Mio, Shingo Usami, Naoko Mori, Cristina Rodlo, Kiki Sukezane
- Premiered: March 26, 2018
- Genres (Tv): Historical drama, Thriller