This list may not be marooned on far away shores, but it does have lots of awesome desert island movies, ranked from best to worst by user votes. The best desert island movies offer adventure as they showcase the lead characters' will to survive. Desert island films often feature one man's journey, but some of the best shipwrecked movies include star-studded casts. A few of the best stranded films are even based on true stories.
What films will you find on this best desert island movies list? All you need to make a great movie is Tom Hanks, as proven by the 2000 survival movie, Cast Away. After getting stranded on a desert island, Chuck Noland (Hanks) befriends a volleyball named Wilson and does whatever it takes to make it back home. The Blue Lagoon is another one of the best desert island movies.
Animal instincts quickly come to the surface in the classic film Lord of the Flies, which is based on William Golding's 1954 novel of the same name. Other good movies that are featured on this top desert island films list include Swept Away, The Beach, and Life of Pi.
How will we ever determine which movie deserves the top spot on this list? Help us decide by giving the best films a thumbs up and add any other deserted island films you love that aren't already listed.
- 8431Cast Away is a 2000 American adventure drama film directed and produced by Robert Zemeckis and... more
- 3717Six Days Seven Nights is a 1998 adventure-comedy film, directed by Ivan Reitman and starring... more
- 3822Swiss Family Robinson is a 1960 British-American family film starring John Mills, Dorothy... more
- 3927The Blue Lagoon is a 1980 American romantic adventure film directed by Randal Kleiser. The... more
- 1811Robinson Crusoe is a 1954 Mexican film by director Luis Buñuel, based on the novel Robinson... more
- 3028The Beach is a 2000 adventure drama film directed by Danny Boyle and based on the 1996 novel... more
- 1512"Accomplished and original, Castaway on the Moon is a fascinating love story by one of South... more
- 1411Nim's Island is a 2008 American-Australian adventure-fantasy film directed by Jennifer... more
- 51The Island is a 1980 American thriller film, directed by Michael Ritchie and starring Michael... more
- 1618Lord of the Flies is a 1963 British film adaptation of William Golding's novel of the same... more
- 52Blue Lagoon: The Awakening is an American television film that premiered on Lifetime on June... more
- 1821Swept Away is a 2002 romantic comedy film directed by Guy Ritchie and starring Madonna,... more
- 52Return to the Blue Lagoon is a 1991 American romance and adventure film starring Milla... more
- 50Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides a 2011 action adventure film directed by Rob... more
- 41Paradise is a 1982 English language Canadian-produced romance and adventure film starring... more
- 21Sweetheart is a 2019 American survival horror film directed by J.D. Dillard. Jenn (Kiersey... more
- 21Rescue from Gilligan's Island is a 1978 two-part television movie that continues the... more
- Island of the Blue Dolphins is a 1960 children's novel written by Scott O'Dell. The story of a... more
- 21The Castaways on Gilligan's Island is a 1979 television movie that continues the adventures of... more
The Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's IslandDawn Wells, Martin LandauThe Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island is a 1981 made-for-television movie. It is the... more
- 21Trouble in Paradise is a 1989 film directed by Di Drew.... more
- 916Horrors of Spider Island is a 1960 West German horror film directed by Fritz Böttger. The film... more
- 22Prey is a 2019 American horror film directed by Franck Khalfoun. Toby (Logan Miller), a... more
- 2655Life of Pi is a 2012 American historical drama film directed by Ang Lee, based on the novel of... more